Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 11:43 PM

It's -7 outside bad for rough sleepers

It's -7 down here in Wiltshire and may go down further in the night perhaps even to -15 .
It's terribly cold.
The councils here in Wiltshire and Gloucestershire are preparing hundreds of beds for rough sleepers .
If they are out tonight they are in danger of freezing to death.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 12:05 AM

Re: It's -7 outside bad for rough sleepers

Gosh, that is exceptionally bad, Muddy.
They are saying maybe minus 10 here, and I thought that was bad enough!

I imagine it could quite easily kill someone sleeping rough in those temperatures, especially as they may not have eaten as well.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 03:40 AM

I remember looking down over Red Square in Moscow at night in subfreezing temperatures, seeing stray dogs on the snowy streets below and wondering how they, and the homeless, would survive. I kept waking up in the night heavy-hearted over their suffering.

It's encouraging to know that your local councils are trying to shelter people in need.

I hope the people who need it can make their way to the shelters.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 07:19 AM

Brighton Council have opened up the Conference Centre to all 'rough sleepers'.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 08:58 AM

Same in Leeds all homeless people are promised a bed also if you see a homeless person there is a crisis number to ring and someone will pick them up.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 10:02 AM

Low temperatures when homeless aren't pleasant but if you can keep dry it's not too bad, wind and rain used to chill us more than a frost.

Having said that it's an absolute disgrace 30 years after we came in from the cold there are still people out there.

If we can't cure this there is no hope for our society it's too broken. IMO
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Low temperatures when homeless aren't pleasant but if you can keep dry it's not too bad, wind and rain used to chill us more than a frost.

Having said that it's an absolute disgrace 30 years after we came in from the cold there are still people out there.

If we can't cure this there is no hope for our society it's too broken. IMO
Perhaps if they stopped sending foreign aid to places like Mozambique who received £55m so that its president could buy himself a £7m private jet?

There are plenty more examples of the abuse of foreign aid - these should be investigated thoroughly and stopped if abuse of the money is found. It should (if any IMO) be given to the most deserving cases, not where some governments and or dignitaries can syphon it off for their own use.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	UnknownSoldier.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	4719  
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 02:37 PM

Was -8 and -9 the past couple of nights here.

I don't see the problem, really. As a rough sleeper in the 90s I never had any issue with the cold. I would try and get indoors but if not there were always heating vents available to sleep on. This was in Worcester and Birmingham.

Most people are homeless through life choices; I know I was. I wouldn't like to be my age sleeping out but people have options.

N.B. I was homeless for around 10 years.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Was -8 and -9 the past couple of nights here.

I don't see the problem, really. As a rough sleeper in the 90s I never had any issue with the cold. I would try and get indoors but if not there were always heating vents available to sleep on. This was in Worcester and Birmingham.

Most people are homeless through life choices; I know I was. I wouldn't like to be my age sleeping out but people have options.

N.B. I was homeless for around 10 years.
We are lucky it was only a year, a long year mind. Luckily we were working so managed to eventually find a tied position to live in until we got ourselves together.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 03:42 PM

Ive just been to town didnt see the usual homeless on the streets ,what i did see was a group of singers collecting for the homeless , I was one of few who stopped to put money in the collection box..I wouldnt wish anyone out and homeless this weather , it was bitterly cold .

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top