Join for free
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 03:06 AM

Can anyone in the health care field explain this?

My brain fog is thick tonight

Thanks in advance.... Gluten sensitivity in multiple sclerosis: experimental myth or clinical truth?
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 10:24 AM

Re: Can anyone in the health care field explain this?

Not medical but I get brain fog sometimes with old age, I take a Disprin and it thins the blood and I feel better after that. Dont know if this can
help you at all? Hope you find a cure.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Not medical but I get brain fog sometimes with old age, I take a Disprin and it thins the blood and I feel better after that. Dont know if this can
help you at all? Hope you find a cure.
Sandy darlin' - be careful!!! - Salycylic acid (aspirin/Dispirin) can cause digestive problems, ulcers and bleeding in the stomach.

I'm not allowed Aspirin or Ibruprofen because I have been prescribed Warfarin (another anti-coagulent).
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Sandy darlin' - be careful!!! - Salycylic acid (aspirin/Dispirin) can cause digestive problems, ulcers and bleeding in the stomach.

I'm not allowed Aspirin or Ibruprofen because I have been prescribed Warfarin (another anti-coagulent).
I sometimes take a low dose Aspirin because I had a scare with DVT a few years back.

What I really want help with is the abstract I linked to in the first post. Can't make head nor tail of it.
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2013, 11:56 AM

The text within the brackets might help you to understand what was the purpose of the study?

Patients with neurological disease of unknown etiology (origin) sometimes present with antigliadin
and antitissue transglutaminase antibodies.

(antigliadin antibody - Immunology Gliadins are a class of proteins found in the gluten of wheat and rye grains; in genetically susceptible individuals, α-gliadins evoke production of IgA and IgG antibodies in Pts with celiac disease, resulting in a malabsorption syndrome–celiac sprue or gluten-sensitive enteropathy–GSE, and possibly dermatitis herpetiformis–DH Ref range IgA < 31 AU, negative; 32–39 AU, equivocal; > 39 positive; IgG < 89 AU, negative; 90–110 AU, equivocal; > 110 positive.)

(Anti-transglutaminase antibodies (ATA) are autoantibodies against the transglutaminase protein. Antibodies serve an important role in the immune system by detecting cells and substances that the rest of the immune system then eliminates. These cells and substance can be foreign (for example, viruses) and also can be produced by the body (for example, cancer cells). Antibodies against the body's own products are called autoantibodies. Autoantibodies can sometimes errantly be directed against healthy portions of the organism, causing autoimmune diseases. ATA can be classified according to 2 different schemes: transglutaminase isoform and immunoglobulin reactivity subclass (IgA, IgG) toward transglutaminases)

The association between these antibodies and multiple sclerosis has been previously suggested.
The purpose of this study was to determine the prevalence of these antibodies in multiple sclerosis patients.
We determined the level of serum immunoglobulin

(What are the normal serum immunoglobulin levels (IgG, IgA, IgM)?Serum levels of IgM, IgG and IgA vary with age, gender and race. The IgG and IgA concentrations in children show a gradual rise with increasing age. The IgA level is generally about the same in both sexes. Girls typically have higher IgM and IgG levels than boys.The confidence interval bounded by two standard deviations about the mean excludes 5% of apparently healthy controls.Elevated IgM, low IgA, low IgG, low IgM, and elevated IgA are the commonest changes observed in apparently healthy humans. Humoral immunodeficiency is commonly defined as IgG, IgM or IgA level that is two standard deviations (2 SD) below the mean level for IgG, IgM or IgA, respectively, for the particular age group and gender)

A and immunoglobulin G antigliadin and antitissue transglutaminase antibodies in 98 patients with multiple sclerosis.
We found a highly significant increase in titers (A titer (or titre) is a way of expressing concentration) of immunoglobulin G antibodies against gliadin and tissue transglutaminase in the multiple sclerosis patients.

Seven patients had a positive IgG AGA, whereas only 2 controls presented positive titers (P = 0.03). Four patients had positive IgG anti-tTG while all the controls tested negative (P = 0.02). However, immunoglobulin A antibodies against gliadin and tissue transglutaminase were not statistically higher in the multiple sclerosis group in comparison to the control group.
Our findings support the associations between antibodies against gliadin and tissue transglutaminase to multiple sclerosis.
The specific role of these antibodies in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis remains uncertain and requires additional research.
A gluten free diet should be considered in specific cases of patients who present with gluten antibodies.

(Traditionally, gluten is defined as a cohesive, elastic protein that is left behind after starch is washed away from a wheat flour dough. Only wheat is considered to have true gluten. Gluten is actually made up of many different proteins.
There are two main groups of proteins in gluten, called the gliadins and the glutenins. Upon digestion, the gluten proteins break down into smaller units, called peptides (also, polypeptides or peptide chains) that are made up of strings of amino acids--almost like beads on a string. The parent proteins have polypeptide chains that include hundreds of amino acids. One particular peptide has been shown to be harmful to celiac patients when instilled directly into the small intestine of several patients. This peptide includes 19 amino acids strung together in a specific sequence. Although the likelihood that this particular peptide is harmful is strong, other peptides may be harmful, as well, including some derived from the glutenin fraction. It is certain that there are polypeptide chains in rye and barley proteins that are similar to the ones found in wheat. Oat proteins have similar, but slightly different polypeptide chains and may or may not be harmful to celiac patients. There is scientific evidence supporting both possibilities. When celiac patients talk about "gluten-free" or a "gluten-free diet," they are actually talking about food or a diet free of the harmful peptides from wheat, rye, barley, and (possibly) oats. This means eliminating virtually all foods made from these grains (e. g., food starch when it is prepared from wheat, and malt when it comes from barley) regardless of whether these foods contain gluten in the very strict sense. Thus, "gluten-free" has become shorthand for "foods that dont harm celiacs."
In recent years, especially among non-celiacs, the term gluten has been stretched to include corn proteins (corn gluten) and there is a glutinous rice, although in the latter case, glutinous refers to the stickiness of the rice rather than to its containing gluten. As far as we know, neither corn nor glutinous rice cause any harm to celiacs.)

Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

15-03-2013, 08:32 PM

Thank you! One of the MS diets I am trying suggests that gluten, eggs, dairy, yeast and soy have proteins that mimic some proteins in the brain and if these cross the blood/brain barrier they can attack myelin and cause lesions. I'm not celiac as far as I know though.
SOUL DJ
Hants. UK
SOUL DJ is female  SOUL DJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2013, 09:55 AM

'Our findings support the associations between antibodies against gliadin and tissue transglutaminase to multiple sclerosis. The specific role of these antibodies in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis remains uncertain and requires additional research. A gluten free diet should be considered in specific cases of patients who present with gluten antibodies.'

They have found a connection between MS and specific antibodies, they don't know the physiology behind it and suggest that a gluten free diet is likely to reduce the production of antibodies.

In clearer terms, as with a lot of things, they aren't sure but let's play safe, gluten free!

Happy Day
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

24-03-2013, 06:27 PM

Thanks Su - doing my best.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top