Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2014, 12:11 PM

Sky Fibre Review

I thought I would post up my review of Sky Fibre Broadband, if anyone else has fibre with Sky, please feel free to add yours too!

We had normal sky broadband, and over the last 18 months or so it started to become poor - so we decided to get their fibre service; 40Mbps unlimited.

What a mistake! Often, the speeds were slower than what we were getting on normal broadband! And after lots of troubleshooting, and a replacement router and telephone line, the best speeds we got were around 20Mbps which was only two or three more than what we were getting on normal broadband.

Wired connection was better at around 35Mbps, but that's no good as we use wireless. We have modern Mac computers with wireless N technology, so there really isn't any good reason why we could not achieve better speeds.

So after speaking to sales in Plusnet we were assured we'd get much better wireless speeds ...and for the same price we were paying Sky, we could get Plusnet's 79Mbps service!! So that's what we opted for (I will write a Plusnet review later). With Plusnet, they install a Bt Open Reach modem, which their own router then connects to (with Sky, there was no open-reach modem, just their own broadband/router - maybe that has something to do with the poor speeds?).

So to sum up - I would avoid Sky's fibre broadband, because they could not meet their promised speeds.

I will update this post once our Plusnet is up and running, or feel free to read my Plusnet Fibre Broadband Review...
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2014, 12:59 PM

Re: Sky Fibre Review

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I
We have modern Mac computers with wireless N technology, so there really isn't any good reason why we could not achieve better speeds.
Thats! your problem, with a Mac you expect the very best whilst us with windows know it not achievable.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2014, 04:15 PM

Re: Sky Fibre Review

Ever seen those adverts for Ronseal; "does exactly what it says on the tin" ?

Yeah? Well Sky's the reverse!

We've got bog-standard SKY because we couldn't get anything anymore when they shut off Sandy Heath's transmitter.

Our problem here was the fact that a dirty-great, BT-owned, mobile-mast-festooned building ruined our reception here anyway, with ghosting and no Channel 5 on many occasions and it got progressively worse.

Our next-door neighbour coughed up £300 to have a super-duper digital aerial put up but then found it hardly any better - thanks to the BT building again so we thought - sod-it, we'll try SKY for TV, Phone & Broadband.

It's OK - just.

They treat you like an idiot - used to that.

Charges are creeping up - looking into that now but we're probably stuck with paying £725 per annum (at the moment, with TV License) unless we can find someone cheaper and BETTER than SKY - and I don't believe BT or Virgin are ever going to do that! stevmk2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top