Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 12:15 PM

Wee on your compost

I have heard it said many times this is good for the compost, but never really knew why until now.
I have learnt urine feeds the bacteria responsible for breaking down woody prunings, so speeding up the decomposition.
Apparently wee is packed with potassium, nitrogen and phosphorous, the very nutrients plants need most. Even better, our digestive systems have converted them into a mineral form that plants can readily use for an instant boost to growth.
Lastly, if you are pestered by badgers wrecking your garden, wee where they are coming in as human urine helps deter them making them think a larger predator is nearby!
Well well well,you live and learn.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 12:35 PM

Re: Wee on your compost

Mups you can wee on my compost heap anytime you like, and that isn't an offer you get every day....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have heard it said many times this is good for the compost, but never really knew why until now.
I have learnt urine feeds the bacteria responsible for breaking down woody prunings, so speeding up the decomposition.
Apparently wee is packed with potassium, nitrogen and phosphorous, the very nutrients plants need most. Even better, our digestive systems have converted them into a mineral form that plants can readily use for an instant boost to growth.
Lastly, if you are pestered by badgers wrecking your garden, wee where they are coming in as human urine helps deter them making them think a larger predator is nearby!
Well well well,you live and learn.
I think it is also slightly alkaline (even though it can contain uric acid) which is why horse manure from stables (as opposed to shovel full retrieved from a passing horse) needs to be composted before it is put on the garden. Mind you that might only apply to horses their urine is about a pH of 8 apparently - not an area I have much expertise in though
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 12:49 PM

Mups male human pee is supposed to deter foxes.

Years ago out in the countryside when people had a midden in the garden which took all the kitchen and garden waste (and no water closet) it was quite usual to empty the chamber pot on to the midden .

The whole lot was then dug into the garden and a new midden started. I know a farmer neighbour who did this until fairly recently. He grew magnificent vegetables
I heard he died recently aged 98 .
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 01:50 PM

It's not pee, it's recycled beer
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 01:55 PM

Wee... or as we say...pee... turns into ammonia when it breaks down. Ammonia is made up of mostly nitrogen... Plants thrive on nitrogen in the soil.. so pee all over your compost and plants... lol!!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 03:09 PM

Is it legal to do it in daylight hours ?
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Is it legal to do it in daylight hours ?
Only if you are a male.. Females need the cover of darkness..
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 03:46 PM

Back in the days of the `big houses` it befell the lowest of the garden staff to double dig in all the contents of the loo. Now you know why it was called bastard trenching.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Mups you can wee on my compost heap anytime you like, and that isn't an offer you get every day....

Best offer I've had for ages Plantman - in fact it's the only one!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top