Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 08:59 PM

What would you do?

Tonight the wife and I visited one of her friends who has lung cancer (never smoked, ironically). It is terminal and she has decided to have no more chemotherapy and live her life as best as she can before it beats her.

She has a daughter (21) and a grandchild (less than a year old) but despite this, and having less than a year left (according to the doctors) to live, she has such a positive outlook on life. She is already planning what she will cook for Christmas dinner this year and what she is going to buy her granddaughter for a Christmas present.

I just sat there in disbelief to be honest. If I was dying, I couldn't even think about next week without worrying if I would still be alive, let alone Christmas!

It just shows I guess, how people deal with things differently.

So, how would you deal with it, if you only had a limited time left to live?

Yes, I know this is a depressing thread, but I wondered if I was just being selfish or if anybody else shared my opinions on the matter.
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 09:06 PM

Re: What would you do?

It is difficult to say until I were in that position but I think I would choose not to have treatment, I wouldn't wish to prolong the agony for my son, family and friends. I can only speak from my experience of seeing two of my family and a few friends die with cancer who chose to have treatment. They suffered having the treatment and it didn't give them that much longer to live.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 09:08 PM

All i can say is I admire her courage and attitude to her illness, I hope I'll have the courage to do the same if and when something similar happens to me, she's a very brave Lady God bless her.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 09:20 PM

Jim I have no idea how I would react.

We all take comfort where we can and if planing for Christmas gives your friend a 'goal' to aim for that is a good thing .
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 09:46 PM

Not sure how I would react either. I think she is a brave woman.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
All i can say is I admire her courage and attitude to her illness, I hope I'll have the courage to do the same if and when something similar happens to me, she's a very brave Lady God bless her.
Took the words from my mouth, Jem.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2014, 10:56 PM

I admire the lady very much too.
Personally I think I would react very badly. It would be on my mind day & night - I wouldn't sleep and I would need some sort of drug from the doctors to stop me going mad/keep me calm/whatever
I have no faith in my behaviour in a crisis... I could surprise myself but I don't think so.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2014, 02:09 AM

Initially I'd put my house in order so to speak, make things easier for family to deal with, then I'd holiday until I couldn't boogie any more, try to enjoy the time I had left and ensure there wasn't anything I hadn't done that was on my to do list!
JoAnn
ohio united states
JoAnn is female  JoAnn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2014, 02:55 AM

I guess it would really depend. My mom tried chemo but was severly sick from it. It did not prolong her life. Just made her time left miserable because she was already too weak. Her body just wouldnt tolerate the treatments. So in her case no treatment would have been better. Just something to provide comfort when needed would have been the better choice. So if your friend feels she wants to enjoy her time left as best she can...I do understand that.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2014, 05:03 AM

As others have said you don't really know how you would react but, as of now, and considering I have already had 80 good years on this planet, I think I would choose not to have treatment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top