Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 12:19 AM

Babysitting

For many of us, especially women, babysitting was the 1st job you had as a teen. What was the most trying time you ever had, sitting with a kid(s)?

Mine were fairly uneventful but if I think of something, I'll put it down.

How much were you paid per hour? When I babysat in the later 70's, I think I was getting $1/hr, more after midnight.

I didn't have a lot of babysitting jobs.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 12:28 AM

Re: Babysitting

I never baby sat in my life... I was an only child & babies were alien to me.
When I had my own first baby I had to learn fast..
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 12:34 AM

Ww call it babysitting but mostly it's kids, not actual babies
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 07:46 AM

I used to baby-sit for neighbours children when I was in my teens - I would not do it now, nor would I have let any of mine do it.

Life has enough hastle to cope with and the world has become too litigious.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 02:31 PM

When my wife was a teenager and we were going out together we always babysitted some of her married sisters kids at least once a week, I actually enjoyed it as I've always loved children, used to be one meself, I would tell them stories and the things they'd say and the questions they'd ask were so funny, the way they think every word out of your mouth is gospel truth, they are so trusting. We always loved babysitting, then when our own children came along we were old hands at the game, still love minding the sons new baby, the other two grandsons are teenagers now and off chasing the girls, life goes on, and on I suppose.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 02:43 PM

About 10 years ago..my neighbour asked me if I would look after their little girl..aged 18 months...

As soon as the parents left..she screamed..cried..pooped her pants every 5 mins..I tried every trick I knew..she screamed, pooped for 4 hours..Then she fell asleep..

Parents came back..'' Ahh..I told you she was quiet..''
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I never baby sat in my life... I was an only child & babies were alien to me.
When I had my own first baby I had to learn fast..
Yes it is strange how you are expected to know...

I was terrified...

Does anyone remember trying to listen to see if your baby is still breathing...and poking him awake?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
When my wife was a teenager and we were going out together we always babysitted some of her married sisters kids at least once a week, I actually enjoyed it as I've always loved children, used to be one meself, I would tell them stories and the things they'd say and the questions they'd ask were so funny, the way they think every word out of your mouth is gospel truth, they are so trusting. We always loved babysitting, then when our own children came along we were old hands at the game, still love minding the sons new baby, the other two grandsons are teenagers now and off chasing the girls, life goes on, and on I suppose.
They are fun, Jem, such a pity they have to grow up!
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 03:46 PM

I did a lot of babysitting when I was a girl....can't think why they call it sitting it's a run around job, either changing nappies and giving bottles if they are babies or playing games if older.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2014, 05:06 PM

By the time I was a teenager I'd had enough of looking after my siblings. Never took a babysitting job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top