Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2014, 08:17 PM

Forums

Why do some forums thrive, whilst some others fail to succeed? What's the answer?

I've already been on two forums. One collapsed because of the rampage of cyber bullies. The other was very quiet and eventually we thought it was time to move on to a bigger site.

Why do some thrive, whilst others don't? What's the secret?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2014, 08:29 PM

Re: Forums

I do wish that some more Scottish members would join. The Scottish thread was a flop. I've said to my Scottish pals, but they're still sticking to another forum because they only post on the Scottish thread. We're meeting up on the 4th October in Loch Lomond for an overnight stay. I'll need to chastise them then lol.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2014, 08:51 PM

I think its the topics that keep a forum going ,and stops it from stagnating , when topics slow down then members look else where and dont come back .
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2014, 09:21 PM

I would say it was a combination of the topics and members that contribute to the success or demise of a forum.

I've given up on a few for different reasons, boredom which can happen if a forum is slow moving and not many members are posting regularly, animosity and rudeness which can really be off putting, topics of no interest to me which usually leads to checking out other forums, the list goes on..
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2014, 11:23 PM

First one i joined over a decade ago nearly died due to bad moderation, luckily the owner saw sense and ditched the twerp causing all the bother, its now thriving worldwide and has a massive membership.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2014, 11:38 PM

It's a good question Alice ... I think it helps if you feel a rapport with other members - or at least a few of them. Plenty of thread starters - a variety of subjects - good moderation...
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 09:23 AM

I think a lot of fora have fallen by the wayside and have been replaced by instantly accessible Facebook Groups. The problem is with Facebook Groups is that they are so ephemeral. One minute there is a good discussion going on, the next they have been gazumped by endless trite "quotations" and puppy pictures etc etc and the discussion is lost in the torrent of fluff.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 10:14 AM

Good people make a good forum simple as that .........
Makes for a good community ......
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 11:03 AM

A good forum, to my mind, needs some 'bite' and a bit of controversy to remain interesting. There'll always be the 'fluffy kitten' element due to gossip amongst - sticking my head above the parapet here - many of the female posters, which is nice for them, and probably part of the networking that they are famous for. But I do look for some edgy comment and useful information when I join a forum, otherwise I'd die of boredom. This forum seems to be improving as it matures, and already becoming a bit addictive...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 11:08 AM

Yes - agree with that Pete ........
Need a bit of variety on a forum ......

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top