Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2014, 06:23 PM

What I don't understand (Christmas celebrations)

Why is it that folk who do not believe in God, Jesus and all that and say they are atheists still celebrate Christmas when they don't even believe in the birth of Jesus?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2014, 06:29 PM

Re: What I don't understand (Christmas celebrations)

Originally Posted by Stella H ->
Why is it that folk who do not believe in God, Jesus and all that and say they are atheists still celebrate Christmas when they don't even believe in the birth of Jesus?
Probably for the presents and an excuse to celebrate 'a day' with a party etc ......
They don't give a thought to the meaning - I would presume ........
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2014, 06:31 PM

True Patsy, that's what I was thinking. They even have Church weddings too - just for all the show I suppose.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2014, 06:32 PM

Hi Stella I am ex C of E and a Humanist and I observe some of the Christmas customs to fit in with my family who are still C of E.
I think many people of other faiths and none observe some Christmas customs.
If I had my way I would dispense with all religious holidays, we might as well be celebrating fairy stories.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2014, 06:32 PM

I don't know Stella but the general feeling of goodwill seems to rub off on everybody - religious or not.
That can't be a bad thing can it?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2014, 06:38 PM

True Patsy, that's what I was thinking. They even have Church weddings too - just for all the show I suppose.
It must be !

At least over the Christmas period some Mums and Dads get to 'see' the family, so some plus points there ......
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk

08-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Personally I think it's a bit hypocritical. I am not a regular churchgoer any more but did used to attend the Baptist church. I do believe in the true meaning of Christmas but know many folk who don't and who still celebrate it. I just find that odd.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk

08-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
It must be !

At least over the Christmas period some Mums and Dads get to 'see' the family, so some plus points there ......
Yes, there is that to it Patsy.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk

08-09-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I don't know Stella but the general feeling of goodwill seems to rub off on everybody - religious or not.
That can't be a bad thing can it?
Yes, but the goodwill should last all year not just for the Christmas period.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2014, 06:43 PM

Well im just celebrating the Winter pagan festival at around that time of year.

Also known as Yule .

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top