Join for free
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 06:05 PM

Under 10 drinking

Very disturbing to hear on the news tonight of the problem escalating with children under 10 years old drinking alcohol. Is it perhaps what they see in the home? How do they manage to get hold of it? It's just so despairing.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 06:09 PM

Re: Under 10 drinking

No idea how they get it, unless the parents supply it or they get someone to go and fetch it from the shop - it's bad though, they don't realise how addictive it is.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 06:47 PM

Good grief-at that age they should be getting free school milk-and yes I was a milk monitor at my primary school
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Good grief-at that age they should be getting free school milk-and yes I was a milk monitor at my primary school
I know that's true I found your old badge.

Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2014, 01:08 PM

I just can't imagine why someone that age would want to drink alcohol. it's very sad, but a sign of the times.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2014, 02:44 PM

I am guessing this is mainly down to the amount of households now have alcohol in them, under 10 if the stuff isn't at home they would have big problems getting hold of any.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2014, 03:08 PM

My folks were somewhat anti-drink. The area of Glasgow where mother grew up didn't even have any pubs! So it was perhaps a glass of sherry at Hogmanay etc. though they would not offer me one - even into my teens.. Well I couldn't wait to get started and then I probably drank too much.

I don't drink much these days, but I feel that it would have been better if my folks had shown respect for drinking other than almost demonising it.
I was always happy to let my children have a small glass of wine with Sunday dinner and they have grown up with a very sensible attitude to drink.

It certainly is a problem if under-10's are drinking regularly, but I don't see a problem with allowing a small amount at home on special occasions.
BoyRacer
Scotland,UK
BoyRacer is male  BoyRacer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2014, 08:59 PM

I never tried drinking until I was a teenager, but I smoked my first cigarette at age 10. Of course back then it wasn't considered as harmful as it is now known to be.

I've never actually smoked, because despite trying to look cool in front of my mates at age 10, I think nearly choking to death put me off.

Kids are growing up much quicker now than when I was young, but things haven't changed significantly. Kids drinking cider on street corners with their mates at age 12 was quite common when I was young.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

29-10-2014, 08:53 AM

Under 10 is quite shocking though. Perhaps they live in that sort of environment..........

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top