Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 09:19 PM

Memory loss

I know there are threads about dementia and Alzheimers. They both involve memory loss and loss of personality and it's just awful.

I've just left my dad in Coronary Care, having had taken ill today. He's had two heart attacks in the past. The first, probably 20 years ago, the second (worse) was about 14 years ago, when he also ended up in Coronary Care. Anyway, today, the doctor saw him in A&E, without my mum and I being there. Then asked us to go in and answer some questions. The first one was had he ever been bothered with a heart condition before! I said yes, he's had two heart attacks, to which my gentle dad responded "NO, I HAVE NOT!". I said you did Dad, you've had two. Well, I don't remember that, he said indignantly!! I still don't think he believes me!!

It's so sad to see your once so "all together" parent, in such a state of bewilderment. Good thing is he's oblivious to it. Doesn't stop you feeling sad though. My beloved dad
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 11:01 PM

Re: Memory loss

Alice it is horrible to find a much loved family member has become a stranger .
I guess your Dad will have forgotten the whole episode by now while it will stay to trouble you..

I've just left my dad in Coronary Care, having had taken ill today.
I hope your Dad is ok and will be better soon.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2014, 11:06 PM

Aw I'm sorry Alice. Do you think it might be the shock of what happened to him today that temporarily affected his memory or have you noticed his memory deteriorating before?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2014, 08:36 AM

Thank you both. Carol, his memory is failing and has been over the last year. He obviously doesn't think there's anything wrong. Thinks his memory's good! Meg, yes he'll be oblivious to what happened yesterday! I'll see how he is this morning and will pop over. I'm lucky that I work in the same hospital
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2014, 10:30 AM

It so sad when we lose people to this dreadful disease, I hope your Dad is OK Alice and gets out of hospital soon, from what I have seen people are better in their own homes where they get less confused.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

22-10-2014, 06:39 PM

Thank you Julie. I saw my dad today and he was very subdued. Then my mum went at afternoon visiting and he was very mixed up and hiding his jacket and shoes incase anyone stole them!! Then sat at another bed with another family!! I'm just getting ready to go to evening visiting and hope I find him a bit brighter. He's getting moved to another ward tonight, so that'll confuse him even more I bet. Anyway, hopefully he'll get home soon and be in his own surroundings.
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2014, 09:26 PM

Aaah! Alice feel for you. It's heartbreaking to see a loved one in a confused state. Hope he improves quickly.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

22-10-2014, 09:58 PM

Thank you Venus. I cried all the way home from hospital tonight. My dad was very confused, left the ward and they had to look for him, so they've locked his clothes away. He thinks he's in a shop, then a restaurant. I left him totally bewildered. i tried to explain the doctor would see him in the morning and he thinks he has to buy something first! Wrote things down he could keep looking at to reassure him, but he can't keep it in. Thoughts go out to anyone who has a family member with dementia.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2014, 10:16 PM

It may be that the confusion which your Dad has now is related to his medical condition. Dementia doesn't suddenly get so bad if the person seemed fine just before being taken ill.
My Dad was like this after a fall and suddenly he was talking all kinds of nonsense and acting completely out of character and even arguing with everyone and refusing to co-operate. It was very distressing but it was due to his medical problems which was affecting his brain. Oxygen levels can be disrupted in an elderly person and also they can easily get infections which can cause confusion.
Hope he improves very soon.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

22-10-2014, 10:50 PM

Thank you Anita. Yes, having an accident and being in a hospital, in a different environment, can definitely bring confusion. I work in a ward and it's fairly common and I've seen relatives getting upset about their once upbeat mum/dad seeming really out of it. It's just horrible when it's your mum or dad. I'm sure he'll be a bit better when he gets home, but fear it's a wee bit of his dementia getting worse, which is also common after a hospital stay. So long as he is safe and happily demented is all I want. He has refused medication for his dementia because he doesn't think there's anything wrong with him. It wouldn't have taken it away, but maybe slowed it down. Anyway, things just turn out like they have to.
Thank you for all your kind words xx

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top