Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 08:41 PM

Mental Health.

Do you think that your state of mental health is, at least partly, in your own hands ? Does your choice of lifestyle and your attitude to life affect your mental health?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 08:48 PM

Re: Mental Health.

Great subject Alan. A subject close to my heart.

I think life circumstances can dictate mental health problems in latter years. I also think it can be in the genes.

I could go on and on and am looking forward to what others have to say.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 08:54 PM

Not sure about this one. I have hit lows in my life, as probably most people have but I can't say it was a mental health issue.
Although a close family member has suffered all their adult life.
It's a terrible affliction.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 08:55 PM

I do think a lot of people prattle on about Mental Health when they are know damn all about the subject but hey to some folk they have nowt else to do as they live out their latter years and like MM I have a young close family member who suffers from what is best described as "mental handcuffs".
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 09:01 PM

You're probably right VM. A lot of people probably confuse 'mental health' issues with simply feeling down or Pissed off. A lot of that probably is in their own hands. I just go for a walk on the beach. It can cure a multitude of ills.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Do you think that your state of mental health is, at least partly, in your own hands ? Does your choice of lifestyle and your attitude to life affect your mental health?
A very interesting subject Alan. Speaking for meself I'd say a lot of it is your own hands, barring sickness or accidents that is. People who worry a lot all through their lives have not built up enough mental strength to help them cope with old age and they are more likely to suffer when they get old. I used to be a worrier but took the bull by the horns and said to meself what's the bloody point? whatever is going to happen will anyway, so I stopped worrying and I'm far better able to handle and indeed enjoy old age now. But we are all different and we all look at life through our own eyes.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
You're probably right VM. A lot of people probably confuse 'mental health' issues with simply feeling down or Pissed off. A lot of that probably is in their own hands. I just go for a walk on the beach. It can cure a multitude of ills.
Feeling down and pissed off is a dawdle to those not suffering from mental illness. That's the difference.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

04-12-2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
I do think a lot of people prattle on about Mental Health when they are know damn all about the subject but hey to some folk they have nowt else to do as they live out their latter years and like MM I have a young close family member who suffers from what is best described as "mental handcuffs".
Mental handcuffs, or mental torment.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

04-12-2014, 09:15 PM

When you are mentally ill it is the most awful thing in the world at that time. You cannot imagine coming out of it. You can only be helped by medication. You can't"snap out of it". You're in a place you have never been in before and find it impossible to get out of without experienced help. That's mental illness. Anxiety and worry are different.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 09:28 PM

I have had 2 bouts of real depression in my life one was situational, I was in a horrid job, leaky, mouldy, stinky flat and had lost two babies in 10 months. Second was entirely hormonal and chemical, when they got my hormones and medication right I was almost over night absolutely fine.

So some cases yes and some cases no.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top