Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 10:18 AM

Driving speeds

I am a non-driver but I have a recurring argument with my driving-since-before-she-could-walk friend. My cousin drives at a steady 40 miles an hour (unless it's on country lanes, when the speed drops). I like this, I feel safer and I can see more - when friend drives passing countryside is a blur and she gets very aggressive about overtaking lorries - I refer to journeys with her as 'the white-knuckle ride'. She maintains that my cousin's speed is actually more dangerous, that fellow drivers get frustrated at being stuck behind him so it's more likely to cause accidents - and I do notice a lot of drivers honking their horns at him. As a more frequent pedestrian, I find the speed cars go by at quite scary when I'm walking. So is it really 'safer' or better driving to go fast?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 10:30 AM

Re: Driving speeds

When your cousin drives, what is the speed limit? Is it well above? Please don't tell me it's 30!

No, joking aside, I stick to limits, and can't abide drivers who speed, tailgate, or are aggressive. I don't dawdle well below limits, but stay just inside, or on. On a motorway, I stay in left hand lane, doing around 60. I'm not in a rush and want to reach my destination safely.

On occasions, when I've overtaken a vehicle, and going at the speed limit, I'm waiting for the right moment to get back into the lane (when you have to wait till that vehicle is visible in the rear view mirror) and found some idiot up my backside that has accelerated from nowhere! They are the ones I despise. They can't wait a second.

My nephew sustained life changing injuries when he was a passenger in a car some years ago. The driver lost control, they clashed heads and the driver died. My family knows first hand of the dangers. We don't know what speed they were going, but were on their way to a meeting and may well have been rushing. (This was in the evening.)

Don't do it, is what I say. Let fools speed, just so long as they don't come anywhere near me, or involve me in any way.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 10:37 AM

I only feel comfortable when I'm in the driving seat!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 12:17 PM

There is no doubt that people who drive slowly on 70mph roads pose a danger. You are on top of them before you realise it. It's best to travel at more or less the same speed as everyone else, within the speed limits of course.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
There is no doubt that people who drive slowly on 70mph roads pose a danger. You are on top of them before you realise it. It's best to travel at more or less the same speed as everyone else, within the speed limits of course.
I agree and it amazes me that when people driving below the speed limit get to an overtaking lane how their car suddenly turns into a racing car.

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 12:46 PM

As the speed limit I the maximum I don't feel at all guilty driving at a speed below that where I feel comfortable, if you find you come up behind me too quick then that's your fault for driving too fast to react !

I tend to drive with either the dog or children or both in the car and to me getting them to their destinations alive and not thrown around in the car is my aim.

See far too many people whose driving ambition far out weighs their ability on the roads and they are the dangerous ones IMO.
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 01:09 PM

In my opinion, driving to slow is just as dangerous as driving to fast. The correct speed is one that is not above the speed limit, and in accordance with prevailing road conditions. Traffic, weather, etc.

Lets assume that someone is travelling along a 70mph road at 40mph. Another car comes along travelling at 70, and crashes into them. Not many people realise that the driver of the 40mph car can be found guilty of at least one serious motoring offence, and depending on the circumstances, possibly more.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 01:24 PM

I don't think that's the case, a 70mph zone means that's the limit and not that you have to keep to that speed, if anyone crashes into them then they are responsible, they could easily have overtaken the vehicle if need be
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 01:46 PM

Isn't it up to each driver to be safe, sensible and responsible when on the roads? If someone doing 70 crashes into me I'd want to know why, and if they were concentrating enough.

I agree with Julie. And I don't do 40, as I said...I cruise along at 60. It's what I am comfortable with.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

14-12-2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Fender Bender ->
In my opinion, driving to slow is just as dangerous as driving to fast. The correct speed is one that is not above the speed limit, and in accordance with prevailing road conditions. Traffic, weather, etc.

Lets assume that someone is travelling along a 70mph road at 40mph. Another car comes along travelling at 70, and crashes into them. Not many people realise that the driver of the 40mph car can be found guilty of at least one serious motoring offence, and depending on the circumstances, possibly more.

How do you work that one out, FB? The 70 mph driver obviously wasn't concentrating, and should go into the next lane to overtake.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top