Join for free
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2015, 01:35 PM

Campsite tragedy

This incident gave rise to a lot of post on various campsite forums...

In 2013 a man was killed in an accident on a campsite near me in Aberdeenshire. There was a lot of comment about speed limits, driving too fast etc.. but it's all too easy to jump to conclusions when you know nothing about what actually happened...

Anyway, today this article is front page on the regional newspaper, The 'Press&Journal'...

This is a short extract...
A woman has told a court that her idyllic north-east holiday turned to horror when her partner of 20 years was crushed between a car and a caravan.

Andrew MacKay died after the vehicle being driven by Kylie Johnston careered into him as he was enjoying the summer evening air.

The 65-year-old was on holiday with his long-term partner Mary Dobbin – and had only just stepped out of their static caravan when he was struck by the silver Daihatsu Terio.

Earlier this year Johnston, of 8 Newbigging Drive, Stonehaven, admitted causing Mr MacKay’s death by driving dangerously on July 21, 2013

She had been controlling the steering wheel of the car from the passenger seat as it crossed a grassy area and crashed through a fence at the East Balthangie Caravan Park near Cuminestown in Aberdeenshire.

The vehicle eventually came to a stop after colliding with retired plumber Mr MacKay and his holiday home.

Johnston, 26, had also been accused of driving without a licence or insurance, but her pleas of not guilty were accepted by the Crown.

Yesterday, her partner, Nathaniel Cooper, went on trial at the High Court in Aberdeen also charged with causing Mr MacKay’s death by driving dangerously.

It is alleged that he was in the driver’s seat of the car when the tragedy happened.

He is accused of controlling the accelerator, brake and clutch while Johnston operated the steering wheel.

He denies the charge against him.

Words fail me... Lock them up and throw away the keys.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2015, 01:38 PM

Re: Campsite tragedy

Been on many campsites over the years and seen some very dangerous driving indeed. I don't get why people think they go on holiday and normal rules of physics still apply. Seen some pretty crazy fires too which only by grace of God didn't end in tragedy.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2015, 03:25 PM

FFS! Were they just young and foolish? Were they messing about?

Did any of these questions get answered...why exactly she had control of the steering wheel? And that their actions resulted in this tragedy.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2015, 04:08 PM

She had been controlling the steering wheel of the car from the passenger seat ....
.....He is accused of controlling the accelerator, brake and clutch while Johnston operated the steering wheel.
Why would anyone do that
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2015, 04:35 PM

Latest report from Aberdeen High Court......

A woman told a court today that her boyfriend was teaching her how to drive minutes before the car struck a pensioner who died at a caravan park.

Kylie Johnston, 26, claimed Nathaniel Cooper told her to sit on his knee as they were on their way back to the holiday park from a garage.

She said she was scared because she had never driven a vehicle before and relied on him telling her what to do.

But she claimed she eventually let her former partner take control of the steering wheel after the car entered Balthangie Caravan Park at Cumineston.

Miss Johnston, of Stonehaven, said the 4X4 went out of control and crashed into a static caravan on the site.

The vehicle also struck 65-year-old Andrew MacKay who ended up trapped underneath his holiday home and died at the scene.

Cooper, of Inverbervie, is on trial at the High Court in Aberdeen accused of causing the pensioner’s trial by driving dangerously.

Giving evidence, Miss Johnston said: “I wasn’t sure to start off with, but he kept saying ‘come on, come on, sit on my knee. I will teach you how to drive’, tapping his legs.”

Advocate depute Andrew Brown asked: “Did you get in through the driver’s door?”

She replied: “On his knee. Yes.

“He was showing me the pedals down at the bottom and he told me to push my foot right down on the clutch and then the accelerator, and then lightly he said, and it stalled three times the car.

“After that I was just holding on to the steering wheel.”

Miss Johnston told the court that Cooper took control of the steering after the car veered too close to a building on the site.

She said: “I really relied on him, I didn’t know what I was doing.

“Everything happened so quick. The car was going about all over the place and everything.

“The car was going out of control. I was trying to find the brake and remember what he had told me.”

Miss Johnston, who is 4ft 11 inches tall, said she slid down to find the pedals before the car crashed into the caravan.

Interesting.... I only live a few miles away and the nearest garage (assuming petrol station) is 8 or 9 miles away!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2015, 09:02 PM

Terrible and some on the roads are pretty reckless too http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-overtake.html
loopyloll
New Member!
United Kingdom
loopyloll is female 

10-04-2015, 07:04 PM

No they werent young he is 30 and she is 26, they were both very much in the wrong but she has held her hands up to her part he however is showing no remorse or guilt at all and trying to fully blame her.
There was also two young boys in the car age 4 (my son) and 2 Who's lives were put at risk by their recklessness.
I know a fair bit on this case and they both deserve to go down especially him for a long time.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top