Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 10:09 AM

Nhs

I am sick of the politicians fighting this election using the NHS, it is not a political football, and it needs all parties to sit down around a table and sort it.
I think the NHS has to be taken out of politics completely, it needs a governing body of possibly the best businessmen in the country to sort it.
Now we are frequently told that it is a free service, it is not, I paid all my working life a contribution out of my weekly wage until I retired.
I have nothing but praise for the NHS, it is not its fault for the problems it is now in, people have to pay more out of the wages and I.Tax to get back on track, then the publics contribution has to be adjusted as time goes on, not wait till it is in trouble and needs an influx of money all at once.
Obviously OAP's are in a position where the can't pay anymore out of their pension, but in theory they have already paid their contributions, the country has to look after their aged, as the OAP's did for everybody else.
Lets have your ideas please.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 10:12 AM

Re: Nhs

you get my vote.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 10:59 AM

A friend is a staff nurse , she says it's all about politics and getting em in and out . She wants it to return to as it was , nursing and caring for people. I think the n h s is a great service .

I do feel that people outside of the UK who come here and are treated should pay , possibly by taking out health insurance as we do when leaving this country .

An interesting post to follow I feel
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 11:26 AM

I completely agree Wrinkly, also something shocked me the other day is how many of our well trained NHS staff up and off to Australia and USA we pay to train them and they go where the money and weather are better. I can't fault them for their personal choices but what a waste of our money training them if we don't then get the benefit of their work !
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I completely agree Wrinkly, also something shocked me the other day is how many of our well trained NHS staff up and off to Australia and USA we pay to train them and they go where the money and weather are better. I can't fault them for their personal choices but what a waste of our money training them if we don't then get the benefit of their work !
It works both ways there are plenty of nurses we train working in the UK. My niece worked in a London hospital for a few years until about a year ago.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 12:26 PM

My daughter recently had an operation for bowel cancer - care was excellent liaison with GP for after care diabolical.
My elder Grand-daughter has severe mental health issues her care, or lack of it, has been appalling.
Politicians seem to respond to what the media considers to be newsworthy not what NHS patients really need.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
My daughter recently had an operation for bowel cancer - care was excellent liaison with GP for after care diabolical.
My elder Grand-daughter has severe mental health issues her care, or lack of it, has been appalling.
Politicians seem to respond to what the media considers to be newsworthy not what NHS patients really need.
I can agree with this too my husband's knee replacement care at the hospital excellent after care a nightmare, was supposed to have physio daily and has had one appointment in the 2 weeks, supposed to have checks on his dressings every couple of days and hasn't been able to get an appointment in 2 weeks. Should have stitches out tomorrow but have been told may be best to go to walk in clinic as the GP nurses have no time !

Mental health care is poor relation to all I think, having seen how they have treated (or not) the lady here who needs help.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 12:43 PM

VM I often say on threads that the country is run by the media and there's an example.
As it has such a big influence on people you can't blame politicians for going with what gets the most attention in the media, after all if they don't they are not around to do anything.
Mental health is sorely underfunded and it's an area where there are more and more people needing care, especially young people.

I have 2 family members who work in the NHS and they say they wouldn't go overseas though I have asked them, if they wouldn't have a much better quality of life and half the stress elsewhere.

One of the problems with a system which is free at the point of use is abuse of the system. In the past especially some people would get a GP appointment every time they had a slight cold and want antibiotics etc. loads of people still make an appointment to get paracetamol.
As he says the problem is that those who need to come and get things checked don't and can be very ill by the time they seek advice and the other half are there every week with nothing wrong or things which are easily sorted with over the counter meds.

The other thing is that people often blame the staff who are working flat out, they don't decide who will have appointments that day. It's hardly surprising they go elsewhere to work.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2015, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
A friend is a staff nurse , she says it's all about politics and getting em in and out . She wants it to return to as it was , nursing and caring for people. I think the n h s is a great service .

I do feel that people outside of the UK who come here and are treated should pay , possibly by taking out health insurance as we do when leaving this country .

An interesting post to follow I feel
I'm not a nurse, but have worked in a ward for 25 years. Yes, it is all about getting them in and out. Believe me. There has been a huge difference in the past three/four years. From the roots up it's a disgrace and a poor show.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

Not sure it's relevant, but when I was still working, if we did any special training courses, they were paid for by our employer. BUT, if you left their employment within a certain time afterwards (can't remember the time limit), you had to repay the course fee. I think that fair enough.

I know when Mum was in and out of hospital, there were many foreign nurses and docs who's English was appalling, but if so many of our medically trained people continue to leave this country, I guess we'll have to get used to this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top