Join for free
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2015, 10:39 PM

Voilent videos

Now they are finally saying what some of us have thought all along, that violent video games are bad for kids. It is suspected that they are behind a spate of 14 shootings in one city in just over a year.

A Councillor in Salford, Manchester says teens in Salford "have a different mindset" after watching computer games where bloodshed is rife.
He says " Younger criminals are coming up who are not afraid of using firearms. It used to be fists and baseball bats."

If these sort of films weren't made in the first place, the kids wouldn't be able to watch them, would they!
Having said that, nearly every film on telly later last night was about murder too. There's far too much exposure to it IMO. I'm sick of it.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2015, 11:30 PM

Re: Voilent videos

I've watched violent films since my teens and played violent computer games on both consoles and computers for decades, and I've never had the slightest urge to run amok. There will always be people who snap and resort to violence, even if they only play chess, Monopoly or collect stamps.

As you say, there's ample violence displayed on the TV in the form of films and in the news and endless amounts on the Internet. Blaming games is just simplistic.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2015, 11:31 PM

I remember years ago debates about this but it all fizzled out and not a lot was done about it but it was plainly obvious to me that it affected people to a huge extent. Will anything be done about it now? Doubt it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2015, 04:49 AM

Emmerdale, need I say more!
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2015, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I've watched violent films since my teens and played violent computer games on both consoles and computers for decades, and I've never had the slightest urge to run amok. There will always be people who snap and resort to violence, even if they only play chess, Monopoly or collect stamps.

As you say, there's ample violence displayed on the TV in the form of films and in the news and endless amounts on the Internet. Blaming games is just simplistic.

Same goes for me too, it will alway's be there...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2015, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->

Spot on.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2015, 07:59 AM

People are quite capable (unless they have a serious mental illness) of distinguishing between real violence and the fantasy violence seen in films and games. The increasing use of guns as described by the Salford councillor (and how many councillors do you know that have a good grasp of psychology/sociology?) reflects the increasing availability of guns on the street, rather than anything else. British criminals have always used guns when they were available, but their availability has always been limited. Nowadays they are easy to get hold of and are therefore more often used in violent situations.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2015, 08:53 AM

So 'no' youngster is influenced by what they see ?
No adult or youngster is influenced by TV adverts ?
Role models are not influential ? I've seen evidence of all the above - burying heads in the sand is not a wise option, but that's what has happened and its too late now to turn back - the damage will never be repaired
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2015, 09:39 AM

I think there will always be the slightly disturbed ones who want to act out what they see.
But then has anyone else noticed thats how advertising works?

As for violence and suffering, do you remember the first time you saw children starving in Africa? Can you remember feeling ill at the sight, and how you wanted to do something to help?

I wont ask for a show of hands but how many of us now just zapp past or ignore it when the latest pictures pop up?
We have becomed conditioned to it , it no longer shocks or provokes an emotional response, the same is true of violent films and games..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I think there will always be the slightly disturbed ones who want to act out what they see.
But then has anyone else noticed thats how advertising works?

As for violence and suffering, do you remember the first time you saw children starving in Africa? Can you remember feeling ill at the sight, and how you wanted to do something to help?

I wont ask for a show of hands but how many of us now just zapp past or ignore it when the latest pictures pop up?
We have becomed conditioned to it , it no longer shocks or provokes an emotional response, the same is true of violent films and games..
Yep - good post
Saw a docu recently on the influence of Rock n Roll and the controversial film Blackboard Jungle - what happened - cinemas wrecked - so please don't tell me 'anything goes'

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top