Join for free
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 01:40 PM

Nematodes

Last year we had terrible trouble with slugs attacking the root vegetables so this year, we introduced nematodes into the soil.

So far, the results have been very encouraging with virtually no slug damage - or signs of slugs. We will try this again next year and see if we get the same results or this was a 'one off'.

Anyone else use nematodes to control slugs?
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 01:45 PM

Re: Nematodes

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Last year we had terrible trouble with slugs attacking the root vegetables so this year, we introduced nematodes into the soil.

So far, the results have been very encouraging with virtually no slug damage - or signs of slugs. We will try this again next year and see if we get the same results or this was a 'one off'.

Anyone else use nematodes to control slugs?
My late uncle used them to control vine weevils. I didn't know they were effective in the control of mollusks
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 01:51 PM

Apparently you get different types depending on the target species. They seemed a bit expensive, but after last years 'carnage', they appear to have proved their worth.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 05:15 PM

I have thought of trying them against vine weevils too, dratted things killed my beautiful rhodedendron 2 years ago.
I do know there is a temperature limit on them though. Can't remember for sure now, but it's something like don't use them if its below 5o or it will kill the nematodes.
Glad you're having success with them anyway, George.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have thought of trying them against vine weevils too, dratted things killed my beautiful rhodedendron 2 years ago.
I do know there is a temperature limit on them though. Can't remember for sure now, but it's something like don't use them if its below 5o or it will kill the nematodes.
Glad you're having success with them anyway, George.
Yes it did sound a bit complicated and Unc being registered blind with a wife, more or less wheelchair bound with MS, didn't make it any easier ! but it was a last resort and worked pretty well as far as I remember

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top