Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 07:16 PM

Charities want, want want!!

Before anyone has a go at me i do donate to a couple of charities by direct debit. My argument is these charities that advertise and state what they want you to donate, on tv just now there was one asking you to text in and all texts cost wait for it £10. In my opinion charities should say PLEASE GIVE WHATEVER YOU CAN not state a figure i think its wrong and should be stopped.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 07:21 PM

Re: Charities want, want want!!

They are getting to be a pain .
I too give by defect debit but sometimes one off to others.
I gave a donation to the Red Cross for something and they have inundated me with begging letters ever since .
Ditto other that have I have given random donations
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 07:31 PM

Well I have been deluged with letters from charities this week all unsolicited and all went straight in the bin .

As with cold callers don't these charities realise they are alienating some people who like me will black list the persistent ones.

Any moment now the 'blackmail' charity packages will arrive, the ones containing Christmas cards and labels that they know will make people feel guilty if ignored
They go in the bin as well these days I refuse to be blackmailed and will give as and when I choose to charities of my choice .
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 07:32 PM

Yes agree theyre a nuisance ..I alway turn off when I see one on TV now..I give by direct debit also to my own favourite charities...I wont be persuaded or cajoled by pictures of starving children meant to make my heart strings go...(even though they do) I just dont give .
If im out at the supermarket they usually have a charity in the entrance collecting and I always find some money to give to these and they will have a chat with me too
Anyone ringing me for doantions gets a quick "sorry I cant afford that" goodbye!!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 07:32 PM

For many years I have regularly given to Oxfam and a couple of months ago I was bombarded with begging letters, emails and even a phone call from them. I protested to them and since then there has been no pestering.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 07:50 PM

Some of the problems with accepting very small donations and yes we should be grateful for every penny, is it costs money to process the payments. We have to pay to take debit/credit card donations and cheques so we have to ask for enough to make it worth while paying them in. I do have a problem with big advertising campaigns however as IMO they waste money that could be spent better on the cause, I don't like too many paid staff either as for me charity means volunteers.
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 08:03 PM

I get annoyed by the mailbox bombardment too. There are a few select charities I would donate too if money were no object. But unfortunately it is and I have to feed the creatures I have. I did read something sweet the other day I'm going to consider this year. The idea of picking a local shelter and gifting the animals directly. Perhaps a toy for each cat and a chewy bone for each dog.
I might call a day ahead to find out exactly how many animals are there. It's a small local animal control facility, but they do their best with limited space. Callie came from there so I feel a special connection. I donate blankets, towels, gently worn dishes and leashes. The toys and chewies might brighten the holiday for critters waiting for forever homes or perhaps euthanasia.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

As with cold callers don't these charities realise they are alienating some people who like me will black list the persistent ones.

Any moment now the 'blackmail' charity packages will arrive, the ones containing Christmas cards and labels that they know will make people feel guilty if ignored
They go in the bin as well these days I refuse to be blackmailed and will give as and when I choose to charities of my choice .

My sentiments too and I believe that most of the large 'charities' have an abundance of money, a lot of which goes in administration.
In other words, the people who need helping are at the bottom of the list and receive peanuts, if anything.

It's a racket ... a wolf in sheep's clothing
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by opheila ->
I get annoyed by the mailbox bombardment too. There are a few select charities I would donate too if money were no object. But unfortunately it is and I have to feed the creatures I have. I did read something sweet the other day I'm going to consider this year. The idea of picking a local shelter and gifting the animals directly. Perhaps a toy for each cat and a chewy bone for each dog.
I might call a day ahead to find out exactly how many animals are there. It's a small local animal control facility, but they do their best with limited space. Callie came from there so I feel a special connection. I donate blankets, towels, gently worn dishes and leashes. The toys and chewies might brighten the holiday for critters waiting for forever homes or perhaps euthanasia.
What a lovely idea Opheila..
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2015, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Well I have been deluged with letters from charities this week all unsolicited and all went straight in the bin .

Meg, I couldn't agree with you more, you have said everything I do myself.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top