Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 09:37 AM

Raspberry invasion

Nextdoor's raspberries are coming up in my shrubbery at the bottom of my garden. They've got rather a thick clump on the other side of the fence. Is there a way I can kill them without affecting my shrubs and plants? Bearing in mind I can't dig.
There's no point in moaning at them about it as they'll have a huge job digging them out and they're into growing their own food, they won't understand why I'm not pleased to have free fruit!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 09:43 AM

Re: Raspberry invasion

Originally Posted by TessA ->
they won't understand why I'm not pleased to have free fruit!
I don't understand either !
But if you must control them cut them off at the base of the cane growing on your side every spring.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I don't understand either !
But if you must control them cut them off at the base of the cane growing on your side every spring.
Think I'd cut them off towards the base and apply a weed or brushwood killer ... or maybe something to kill the roots
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 09:55 AM

Hi Tessa I am afraid I have the same problem with next doors bamboo which come up in my runner beans

Cutting them off doesn't do much because the sucker roots go back to the main plant so all you can do is to suppress the new growth temporarily.

This isn't a solution if you can't dig, but I did try removed the soil right next to the fence and laying black weed preventing felt there held down by a layer of soil to try to stem some of the growth and this worked to some extent.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 10:05 AM

I just cut off unwanted runners at ground level with a sharp hoe. Quick, effective and almost effortless.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 10:14 AM

Don't apply weedkiller !
Not a good idea on edible soft fruit, you don't want to add to the problem by poisoning your neighbours !
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 10:58 AM

Get the neighbour to remove their offending plants from your garden
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 11:33 AM

Getting them to remove them is not an option I'm afraid, they're rather aloof and I'm only a tenant . I'll just have to chop them off. Would weedkiller kill their plants too? The plants are so thick they can't even reach to pick the ones near the fence.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

01-03-2016, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Would weedkiller kill their plants too?
Yes without a doubt and probably make the fruit poisonous too !....forget weedkiller !
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

01-03-2016, 12:40 PM

Keep your hair on Malcolm, I won't use weed killer!
What amazes me is there is a large wooden fence with a concrete base all the way along it, yet the suckers still get through, they must be quite deep.
Btw, I can't eat raspberries.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top