Join for free
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2016, 09:17 PM

Super Rich Tax Leak

Hi

Over 11 million documents have been leaked showing tax evasion by the super rich.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-35918844

I am so going to enjoy this.

I wonder how many well known people will be squirming?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2016, 09:23 PM

Re: Super Rich Tax Leak

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Over 11 million documents have been leaked showing tax evasion by the super rich.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-35918844

I am so going to enjoy this.

I wonder how many well known people will be squirming?
Another none story.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2016, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Another none story.
Galty, Please tell me, as l'm intrigued....are you an undercover or wannabe moderator?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2016, 10:10 PM

The search continues, to find something that narks the Hoi Polloi.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2016, 10:25 PM

This has been going on for years.
Many M P's from all parties have off -shore accounts

The secret is now out , but it may not be illegal!!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 09:57 AM

I think the whole point is that it's not illegal, isn't it?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 10:00 AM

Cameron's Dad has been implicated......Is there no end to the depths the media will plummet to get readers/viewers

Why is it that they pour scorn on someone who legally gets out of paying their tax. Only a fool would give money away if there is a legal way out.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Cameron's Dad has been implicated......Is there no end to the depths the media will plummet to get readers/viewers

Why is it that they pour scorn on someone who legally gets out of paying their tax. Only a fool would give money away if there is a legal way out.
There are two ways of looking at this question.

The first sees that paying tax is a burdensome obligation and that taxpayers are entirely justified in keeping their payments down as much as is legally possible. End of story. Let’s talk about something else.

The second looks at the ‘big picture’. From this perspective HMRC are not our enemy. They collect taxes in order that our society can function. There are many needs on the national resources. The list usually starts with schools and hospitals but it goes much further than this. As always there are more things that we would like the state to do than there is cash for doing them.

By the way, I recognise that opinions vary widely on the desirability of some of these major items of national expenditure. I also recognise that waste and inefficiency are unfortunately quite prevalent. Nevertheless a decent society needs substantial revenues if it is to do a decent job for all its citizens.

When taxpayers reduce the amount they pay the national coffers suffer. That means that the state is unable to do as much for its citizens. It is also true that wealthier taxpayers – both corporate and private – are much more able to reduce the amount that they legally pay than the poorer taxpayers in either category. This greatly increases the inequality that already exists.

The present financial mess makes this situation a great deal worse. The deficit means that the tax take is not nearly enough to pay for all that the state is committed to doing. So borrowing remains stubbornly high which means huge sums of money go on paying the lenders the interest that they are due. Yet, while Joe Bloggs is paying his full whack, the rich and powerful see absolutely no obligation to pull their weight. They go on scheming and plotting to deprive the community in which they live and work.

I agree that that the law is woefully inadequate and we also get the impression that HMRC has not been assiduous enough in chasing the greedy fat cats with their very expensive accountants and lawyers.

I do wonder how large the deficit would be if there was no tax avoidance at all. I don’t suppose that it would disappear altogether but it would surely be a lot smaller and much more manageable. I am sorry to say this but it really appals me that so many hide behind the mantra that tax evasion is wrong but tax avoidance is not only justified and even quite admirable. They are making a bad situation worse. They are not the solution: they are a major part of the problem.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

Hi

I rather think that this leak has more to do with illegal tax evasion than perfectly legal tax avoidance.

Nothing wrong with having a foreign company registered as long as it is declared.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2016, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
There are two ways of looking at this question.

The first sees that paying tax is a burdensome obligation and that taxpayers are entirely justified in keeping their payments down as much as is legally possible. End of story. Let’s talk about something else.

The second looks at the ‘big picture’. From this perspective HMRC are not our enemy. They collect taxes in order that our society can function. There are many needs on the national resources. The list usually starts with schools and hospitals but it goes much further than this. As always there are more things that we would like the state to do than there is cash for doing them.

By the way, I recognise that opinions vary widely on the desirability of some of these major items of national expenditure. I also recognise that waste and inefficiency are unfortunately quite prevalent. Nevertheless a decent society needs substantial revenues if it is to do a decent job for all its citizens.

When taxpayers reduce the amount they pay the national coffers suffer. That means that the state is unable to do as much for its citizens. It is also true that wealthier taxpayers – both corporate and private – are much more able to reduce the amount that they legally pay than the poorer taxpayers in either category. This greatly increases the inequality that already exists.

The present financial mess makes this situation a great deal worse. The deficit means that the tax take is not nearly enough to pay for all that the state is committed to doing. So borrowing remains stubbornly high which means huge sums of money go on paying the lenders the interest that they are due. Yet, while Joe Bloggs is paying his full whack, the rich and powerful see absolutely no obligation to pull their weight. They go on scheming and plotting to deprive the community in which they live and work.

I agree that that the law is woefully inadequate and we also get the impression that HMRC has not been assiduous enough in chasing the greedy fat cats with their very expensive accountants and lawyers.

I do wonder how large the deficit would be if there was no tax avoidance at all. I don’t suppose that it would disappear altogether but it would surely be a lot smaller and much more manageable. I am sorry to say this but it really appals me that so many hide behind the mantra that tax evasion is wrong but tax avoidance is not only justified and even quite admirable. They are making a bad situation worse. They are not the solution: they are a major part of the problem.
A very good post Magoo and how I see it too.

I never begrudged paying tax although my income was small, it is all about social responsibility to me and paying your share not trying to avoid doing so.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top