Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 08:31 AM

Tipping

I hope this practise is banned .
I hate compulsory tipping .
Tipping should be for good service at the discretion of the customer .
It should not be obligatory and counted as part of employees salary
https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...ing-tips-bills
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 08:35 AM

Re: Tipping

I agree, but expect it will still be manipulated by unscrupulous employers.

Tipped rarely myself, Dustsman at Christmas, and for some reason my barber. As a kid delivering papers, used to love Christmas, as many used to give a tip.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 08:59 AM

I don't use for the second time any place that imposes a service charge
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 09:00 AM

People do a job and get paid a salary for doing it and I always feel that tipping is a way of rewarding an individual for doing the job better than the norm, so why pay a tip to every waiter, taxi driver or person that that does a service for you? Tipping the good ones encourages others to do the job better and the people they work for will still benefit because it will encourage more customers.
I certainly object to paying service charges in a restaurant and wonder what they would do if I refused to pay the service charge because i was happy to walk to their kitchen, pick up my food and bring it back to my table. Tipping should be something you choose to do because the service has been better than you expect...... after all we all do a job but very few of us get a tip, no matter how well we do that job.
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 10:11 AM

I agree with muddy
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 10:35 AM

I don't agree with service charges. People can of course leave a tip if they think the service warrants it, it rarely does.

Years ago I occasionally worked in a small restaurant mainly when they were having large functions , the owner kept all the tips saying we were paid enough already .
A second place used the tip money to make up any deficit in the takings . Needless to say when the takings were 'over' the extra money didn't go in the tips.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I agree, but expect it will still be manipulated by unscrupulous employers.

Tipped rarely myself, Dustsman at Christmas, and for some reason my barber. As a kid delivering papers, used to love Christmas, as many used to give a tip.
I always tip the barber but not the dustmen. It's probably because there's a whole crew of dustmen so do you give them a pound each and look mean or give more to one of them? I never really know so don't bother.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 11:21 AM

It's the porter in a hotel who carries your bags/case that I struggle with...
They must get big tips from the wealthy guests so I always think a pound is insulting so I go with £2 or £3
I don't know anyone who seems to know the correct amount either..
A lot of friends and family just don't tip them
Who's right I wonder?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 11:24 AM

Arriving at the airport in Egypt, someone carried my case about three yards and demanded a tip.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 08:52 PM

Should /do you tip in a restaurant ? I see the government are trying to either stop it or make it fairer, as staff do not always get the tips.Myself Im not sure if they should be tipped or not, they are being paid to do a job just the same as anyone else, the cooks/chefs dont get a tip for preparing the meals, neither do the 'washer ups @

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top