Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 10:22 AM

Wasps nest

I have two wasp nests, ( lucky me) one's in the loft, and one is in the Airbrick at the front of the house, now I normally leave them alone but the one that's in the air brick causes me concern, as I was cutting the lawn the other night I think I upset them a bit as one flew at my face, luckily, as I wear glasses, it landed on them and saved me from being stung, so do I leave alone? treat myself with a wasp killer? or call a professional? any one dealt with wasp nest's, and what did you do?
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 10:28 AM

Re: Wasps nest

I usually leave alone but I had one in the roof of my porch. When anyone came to the front door they were attacked, so I had to call in the exterminators (professional). They would normally disappear at the end of the summer, but being stung by angry wasps is a no, no.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 10:42 AM

Buy some powder poison.
Sprinkle it around the airbrick holes, the wasps carry it back to the nest.
Job done.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 10:58 AM

We had one outside the bedroom window and would have been happy to let it be, BUT the horrible nextdoor neighbours complained, even though it was nowhere near their house !

I phoned a 'wasp' person and he said I could try doing it myself with ? powder available from the DIY shop. He said that if we left them, they'd come back next year.

Hated having to kill them, but I did it.

Thankfully, the neighbours moved !
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 11:41 AM

Try one of the mousse type foam sprays from a good DIY store.
That'll zap them. I've used that and it worked very well. Much better than powder. Lasts longer.

I had a wasps nest in the loft. You have to watch them because I began finding wasps in the house every morning , even though it had been closed up overnight.
They must have been coming in through any tiny gap like around a descending central heating pipe.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 11:50 AM

Just leave 'em alone they will be gone by the end of August.....and wasps only sting you when you you attack them, the stinging mechanism is retaliatory !
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 11:52 AM

Bees are non-retaliatory ... wasps are thugs.

I know one thing .. a wasp sting hurts a helluva lot more than a bees.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Bees are non-retaliatory ... wasps are thugs.

I know one thing .. a wasp sting hurts a helluva lot more than a bees.
I've never been stung by wasp nor bee.....that's because I just leave 'em alone !
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

17-07-2016, 11:58 AM

It can be a little hard to leave them alone if one chases you Malcolm.

Wasps and gnats have always liked me.
I've accidentally trod on a wasp. That hurt.
I've sat on one. That just got squashed dead.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2016, 12:12 PM

The wasps may leave their nest in August but 3 years ago, in late October I had dozens getting into my house each day so I assumed they were coming from a nest. I had to kill them with sprays and I don't like killing creatures but my sister gets cellulitis if she is stung, so I had to. The last one we saw was Christmas eve!
I would be tempted to get rid on the nest!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top