Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 10:05 PM

Dartmoor Letterboxes

I spent many happy hours searching for these a few years ago.
People are really nasty to do this....
http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.u...ail/story.html
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 10:12 PM

Re: Dartmoor Letterboxes

never heard of these boxes before Tiff,they must be small to be hidden so I cant see what harm they do .
Must be someone with a warped mind ,
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 10:13 PM

Tis a shame Tiffany, some folks are just plain nasty. Im busy trying to photograph the Snowdogs up here,some have already been vandalized, nbut quickly taken in and respired again and put back on display.

I suppose its to be expected these days,. I believe in days of old there were secret message drops around Northumberland, would be great to find an untouched site.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 10:25 PM

"It must be someone we know because they know all the clues. The boxes themselves are secret, they're hidden. We keep the locations to ourselves. Most are buried or hidden behind rocks.
Very odd, someone going to all the trouble to locate the boxes in order to sabotage them
I hope they catch the culprit...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the replies people.
I liked doing it so much I wrote a poem...

Letterboxing.

My friend & I have searched Dartmoor.
Following the letterbox lore
We've visited places we'd not have seen,
If letterboxing had never been.

From our home and base we go,
West, East, or North in rain or snow,
To Blacktor, Yes Tor, High Willhayes,
Princetown also (but not the same days).
With maps & compass, food & drink,
It's Burrator today I think.

We've seen the moor in rain & fog,
(And fallen into many a bog),
In Summer sun with glorious view,
Wild plants, birds & ponies too.

So thanks to those who started our fun,
Good luck to all who carry it on,
Dartmoor boxes we hope you'll stay,
And give pleasure to others who go that way.

I can't believe someone who looks for them would destroy them & as was said they are well hidden from sight, in fact some are nearly impossible to find.
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Tis a shame Tiffany, some folks are just plain nasty. Im busy trying to photograph the Snowdogs up here,some have already been vandalized, nbut quickly taken in and respired again and put back on display.

I suppose its to be expected these days,. I believe in days of old there were secret message drops around Northumberland, would be great to find an untouched site.
Had to look the dogs up. They are like the sheep in and around Skipton a couple of years ago. Some idiots decided to overturn a couple and 'enhance' them with their scrawlings. Just the same as the dickheads who defaced the Alice sculptures in the park above my house. Why anyone would want to knock the nose off a white rabbit, I've no idea. Even the hookah smoking caterpillar didn't escape.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

27-09-2016, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->

What are Snowdogs, Nom? I haven't heard of those.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

27-09-2016, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by graculus ->
Had to look the dogs up. They are like the sheep in and around Skipton a couple of years ago. Some idiots decided to overturn a couple and 'enhance' them with their scrawlings. Just the same as the dickheads who defaced the Alice sculptures in the park above my house. Why anyone would want to knock the nose off a white rabbit, I've no idea. Even the hookah smoking caterpillar didn't escape.
You answered my question to Nom, Graculus. Thanks. We had Gorilla's here, some are still around too in gardens.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

27-09-2016, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
never heard of these boxes before Tiff,they must be small to be hidden so I cant see what harm they do .
Must be someone with a warped mind ,
Most are put in old metal ammo boxes, because they are waterproof.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
What are Snowdogs, Nom? I haven't heard of those.
Got a thread running here on the Forum Tiffany.

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=37837

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top