Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 02:56 PM

Cyclists told "You won't be fined for riding on pavements"

Read this in today's paper:

Cyclists will be allowed to ride on the pavement without punishment.
Police have decided not to take any action against them amid fears for their safety when they cycle on the road.
Instead, officers will investigate why cyclists feel the need to leave the road.

UNQUOTE

This hair-brained scheme is apparently being tried out in Camden, north London, one of the most popular cycling areas in the country.

The police say the only time they would take action is if a pedestrian is forced to jump out of the way! They also state that common sense and discretion is more important and that the safety of cylists is paramount.

Okay, I get that! a lot of parents and partners will rest easy in Camden knowing their loved ones are not at risk of being run over by traffic, but what about the poor pedestrian!
Not only are they a target by those in motorised chairs who think they are Stirling Moss and whizz everywhere expecting everyone to get out of the way, but now if this policy by the police not to prosecute those cyclists who go onto the pavement - is wheeled out across the country - god help pedestrians!!

What are your thoughts on this? good idea or a bad one?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 03:18 PM

Re: Cyclists told "You won't be fined for riding on pavements"

I do get its safer for them on the pavement but somewhere along the line safety of pedestrians has to be made paramount.

We have pavements, cycling lanes and roads around here, cyclists are well looked after, car drivers too but pedestrians are running the gauntlet.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 03:23 PM

Yet another stupid idea. Mind you, they have always ridden on pavements round here and nothing has ever been said. They come up behind you and I don't hear them coming, it makes me jump.
Anyone can be stepping out of a doorway, or getting out of a car door and - Bang - they're on top of you.

Bit daft saying they will now be allowed anyway, because I have never yet seen anyone stopped and told off - never. Another unenforceable problem.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 03:35 PM

It must be an area thing mups I know various people been told off even cautioned in the Royal parks, around London etc.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 03:50 PM

Mostly around us bikes are ridden on the pavement they have done for years. Half the pavement for bikes the other half for pedestrians, that's a laugh they wiz past that quick you have to have your wits about you.

It is safer for bike riders but they must learn to go slower.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 03:54 PM

If they came near me i'd kick them off their bikes
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 03:56 PM

There's nothing for it
As a pedestrian, a sometimes very stressed and annoyed pedestrian who plays dodgem with non-pedestrians .. I think I'll switch to hogging the pavement on a bike, a mobility scooter , or get myself a big pushchair... or instead just walk down the middle of the road. Using your legs must be out of fashion.

Bikes should be on the road.
Cyclists should also have insurance cover or some form of minimal road tax.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
If they came near me i'd kick them off their bikes
Or wing them with a brolly ... accidentally of course.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
There's nothing for it
As a pedestrian, a sometimes very stressed and annoyed pedestrian who plays dodgem with non-pedestrians .. I think I'll switch to hogging the pavement on a bike, a mobility scooter , or get myself a big pushchair... or instead just walk down the middle of the road. Using your legs must be out of fashion.

Bikes should be on the road.
Cyclists should also have insurance cover or some form of minimal road tax.
Hi Mort, agree with you about Cyclists should have some form of insurance cover or some minimal road tax. If we as pedestrians are injured by a vehicle, insurance is involved, but if by a Cyclist? nothing! I well remember when in school, I came out of a church walkway onto a pavement and sent flying by a man on a bike who had been racing along on what he thought was a deserted path because he couldn't see anyone ahead of him. I was covered in cuts and bruises and off school for two days. Very painful at the time and an apology did not help!! he should have been prosecuted.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Read this in today's paper:

Cyclists will be allowed to ride on the pavement without punishment.
Police have decided not to take any action against them amid fears for their safety when they cycle on the road.
Instead, officers will investigate why cyclists feel the need to leave the road.

UNQUOTE

This hair-brained scheme is apparently being tried out in Camden, north London, one of the most popular cycling areas in the country.

The police say the only time they would take action is if a pedestrian is forced to jump out of the way! They also state that common sense and discretion is more important and that the safety of cylists is paramount.

Okay, I get that! a lot of parents and partners will rest easy in Camden knowing their loved ones are not at risk of being run over by traffic, but what about the poor pedestrian!
Not only are they a target by those in motorised chairs who think they are Stirling Moss and whizz everywhere expecting everyone to get out of the way, but now if this policy by the police not to prosecute those cyclists who go onto the pavement - is wheeled out across the country - god help pedestrians!!

What are your thoughts on this? good idea or a bad one?
A very bad idea indeed, considering how idiotic some cyclists are.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top