Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 04:25 PM

Dig for Victory!

I couldn't believe it when I watched on my television screen, how all the supermarket shelves were empty because European countries had had bad weather so there was a shortage of vegetables such as Lettuce.

Shortage of Lettuce????? For goodness sake, how did we ever become so dependent on other countries to be able to put our salad staple, Lettuce, on our tables? it's ridiculous.

What the hell is wrong with good old English lettuce, grown for centuries in our back gardens and allotments. the same with Potatoes, carrots, swede, turnips, cabbages, onions, spring onions, beetroot, green beans, haricot beans, broad beans, marrows, radishes, spinach, so many varieties of beautiful English apples, strawberries, raspberries, loganberries, blackberries, blackcurrants, damsons, elderberries, gooseberries, pears, rhubarb.

I'm sure I have probably missed some out, but when the hell did we ever come to depend on other countries for our fresh produce when we are so capable of growing our own?

I well remember the only foreign we used to get were tangerines, dates and satsumas at Christmas.

Surely once we leave, we should start being more independent and get our growers to start growing more home-grown fresh produce and stop being so dependent on other countries to supply us with produce that cannot possibly be classed as "fresh" anyway.

What do you think?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 04:27 PM

Re: Dig for Victory!

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I couldn't believe it when I watched on my television screen, how all the supermarket shelves were empty because European countries had had bad weather so there was a shortage of vegetables such as Lettuce.

Shortage of Lettuce????? For goodness sake, how did we ever become so dependent on other countries to be able to put our salad staple, Lettuce, on our tables? it's ridiculous.

What the hell is wrong with good old English lettuce, grown for centuries in our back gardens and allotments. the same with Potatoes, carrots, swede, turnips, cabbages, onions, spring onions, beetroot, green beans, haricot beans, broad beans, marrows, radishes, spinach, so many varieties of beautiful English apples, strawberries, raspberries, loganberries, blackberries, blackcurrants, damsons, elderberries, gooseberries, pears, rhubarb.

I'm sure I have probably missed some out, but when the hell did we ever come to depend on other countries for our fresh produce when we are so capable of growing our own?

I well remember the only foreign we used to get were tangerines, dates and satsumas at Christmas.

Surely once we leave, we should start being more independent and get our growers to start growing more home-grown fresh produce and stop being so dependent on other countries to supply us with produce that cannot possibly be classed as "fresh" anyway.

What do you think?

Shroppy, I agree with every word gal.
Seems utterly ridiculous to me an' all.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

What do you think?

I'll sit comfortably in my chair (up one floor from the gardens) and watch you and other poor buggers toil in your gardens while I sip my coffee and brandy.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 04:48 PM

Ridiculous, really, all we seem to do these days is eat so why not try and grow a few things of our own.
The way we rely on other countries for almost everything we need in life is frightening!!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 04:59 PM

Hi

It is pure economics, heat is expensive, we demand all year round salads, so import them from places like Spain where they have a warmer climate.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is pure economics, heat is expensive, we demand all year round salads, so import them from places like Spain where they have a warmer climate.

Aren't I the lucky one??? - most 'salad' foods and 'green' vegetables (brassicas) contain vitimin 'K' - which is an absolute no, no for me. Instead I tend to eat a lot of 'root' vegetables which apparently are unaffected the bad weather Spain has had.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 05:13 PM

I fully agree with the OP. We now have salads all year round, which was once not the case. It was seasonal produce only. So Spain and others have given us wider choice.

But..... we now have mega greenhouses as in Kent, since the hop farms and orchards have been disposed of (all for EU benefit) We can be self sufficient to a greater degree and although it probably wouldn't be total , we could certainly make our own produce cheaper without transport costs etc.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/n...n-awar-a78669/

Giant greenhouses near St Nicholas-at-Wade which can generate enough electricity to supply every home in Thanet have been given a top eco honour.

Thanet Earth received the Green Award at the Food and Farming Industry Awards in recognition of its sustainable production techniques.

Millions of cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes are grown at the site every year.

The £100 million project uses advanced technology known as combined heat and power to generate vast quantities of electricity.

It can power up to 50,000 homes and much of the waste carbon dioxide is absorbed by plants in the greenhouses.

The Green Award was presented to Robert James, technical manager at Thanet Earth, by a representative of sponsors GrowHow.

Mr James said: "To receive this award is a real honour.

"It’s rewarding for all those who work hard every day to make our site the most sustainable, viable site of its kind in the UK.

"We intend to push our boundaries further and work to continually improve our environmental performance."
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Yes, I expect you're right Swims, so maybe shoppers shouldn't demand these out of season things.

It's the same with out of season, imported strawberries and tomatoes. They are nowhere near as tasty as home grown, but people still want them.

Surely if something is out of season there are thousands of alternatives, it is not as if anyone is likely to die because they can't get a flippin' Cos lettuce in February!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I'll sit comfortably in my chair (up one floor from the gardens) and watch you and other poor buggers toil in your gardens while I sip my coffee and brandy.
Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Aren't I the lucky one??? - most 'salad' foods and 'green' vegetables (brassicas) contain vitimin 'K' - which is an absolute no, no for me. Instead I tend to eat a lot of 'root' vegetables which apparently are unaffected the bad weather Spain has had.
It would appear you've eaten too many and become one
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 06:01 PM

The reason for the rationing was to stop businesses buying up all the food leaving none for the normal customer, You see them sometimes in supermarkets with 30 loaves of bread in their trolley. Stopping the bulk buying would leave enough for shoppers.

As always though, mention a shortage and everyone suddenly needs five cauliflowers and 25 apples.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top