Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 10:27 AM

Fire safety in social housing stock

Following the tragic fire in Grenfell Tower, the scumbag 'nasty party' are now refusing to pay for improvements in fire safety by installing sprinkler systems in high-rise blocks of flats.

Can anything be more despicable than this???

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...afety-grenfell
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 10:49 AM

Re: Fire safety in social housing stock

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Following the tragic fire in Grenfell Tower, the scumbag 'nasty party' are now refusing to pay for improvements in fire safety by installing sprinkler systems in high-rise blocks of flats.
Can anything be more despicable than this???

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...afety-grenfell

Hi

There has never, ever, been any shortage of funds to meet basic basic safety precautions in either Council or Social Housing.

The decision not to install sprinklers in Grenfell was made by the Management Agency, which was controlled by the Council tenants who had a voting majority.

The only Tenants in the UK who do not have the full protection of the Law are Council Tenants and your beloved Jeremy has refused point blank to join in a proposal to extend these rights to Council Tenants.

As soon as the Council Housing was transferred to Social Housing in a Council I worked for, Legal Notices were immediately served to give them protection.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

There has never, ever, been any shortage of funds to meet basic basic safety precautions in either Council or Social Housing.

The decision not to install sprinklers in Grenfell was made by the Management Agency, which was controlled by the Council tenants who had a voting majority.

The only Tenants in the UK who do not have the full protection of the Law are Council Tenants and your beloved Jeremy has refused point blank to join in a proposal to extend these rights to Council Tenants.

As soon as the Council Housing was transferred to Social Housing in a Council I worked for, Legal Notices were immediately served to give them protection.

My comments and the article I linked to it has nothing to do with Grenfell per se, but the other high-rise tower blocks which must be protected FOLLOWING the Grenfell disaster.

If as you say, there is no shortage of funds, then why are the scumbag 'nasty party' government refusing to cough up those funds after the councils have applied for them, and furthermore, if there are funds available, why are these councils having to apply for funding in the first place???
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 11:30 AM

I am not going to say whose at fault but the idea councils have money for this seems strange when they are closing all sorts of services due to lack of funds.

One thing I will say is council here is too stupid to exist IMO they have since the tragedy put up notices saying we are to stay in our flats if fire breaks out but haven't addressed the problem many of us have flagged up that our flats are not protected enough to make that safe. Fire doors removed, Windows stuck open or closed, fire escape Windows blocked by railings to stop kids falling out of them but rendering them completely inadequte unless you are less than 6 inches wide !
Grassy area we are told to aim for if we jump replaced by concrete slabs that make them extremely dangerous to jump down to.

People have unwired their fire alarms and have not had boilers tested in years.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
My comments and the article I linked to it has nothing to do with Grenfell per se, but the other high-rise tower blocks which must be protected FOLLOWING the Grenfell disaster.

If as you say, there is no shortage of funds, then why are the scumbag 'nasty party' government refusing to cough up those funds after the councils have applied for them, and furthermore, if there are funds available, why are these councils having to apply for funding in the first place???

Hi

Very simple UJ.

It is not the function of Government to give more money to those who have misspent it.

The correct solution is to withdraw immunity from prosecution from Council Housing.

In the case of Grenfell, this would mean the Council Tenants in charge of the Management Committee being prosecuted.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 11:57 AM

That's the problem it's never anyone's job if something is national I'd say government has to take action. Councils are not fit for purpose and that's not the tenants fault IMO
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

07-10-2017, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I am not going to say whose at fault but the idea councils have money for this seems strange when they are closing all sorts of services due to lack of funds.

One thing I will say is council here is too stupid to exist IMO they have since the tragedy put up notices saying we are to stay in our flats if fire breaks out but haven't addressed the problem many of us have flagged up that our flats are not protected enough to make that safe. Fire doors removed, Windows stuck open or closed, fire escape Windows blocked by railings to stop kids falling out of them but rendering them completely inadequte unless you are less than 6 inches wide !
Grassy area we are told to aim for if we jump replaced by concrete slabs that make them extremely dangerous to jump down to.

People have unwired their fire alarms and have not had boilers tested in years.
Hi

Means of escape through windows are restricted by height.

However is in charge of the premises should be prosecuted in my view, for failing to ensure fire safety.

Any tenant or occupier who has made alterations to the flats without prior permission should also be prosecuted.

Those who are tenants and who have not got a current Gas Safety Certificate should complain immediately.

Those who are not tenants, but are owners or have shared ownership should have their gas turned off immediately.

It is only landlords who can be prosecuted for not having a current Gas Safety Certificate.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

07-10-2017, 12:02 PM

We've never missed a year of paying for our gas boiler service but I know many here think we are mad.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 01:23 PM

Was watching this on the News last night, first interview with some member of the government straight after the fire, saying how everything would be done to protect other blocks of flats, then the back track and denials..
Pity I didn't record it, then I could have uploaded it to here...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

08-10-2017, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Was watching this on the News last night, first interview with some member of the government straight after the fire, saying how everything would be done to protect other blocks of flats, then the back track and denials..
Pity I didn't record it, then I could have uploaded it to here...
I remember that well and I also remember thinking at the time it would not happen they'd find a way out of doing anything when it had all quietened down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top