Join for free
stablelady
Angus, Scotland
stablelady is female  stablelady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2012, 12:09 PM

Cat Health

My old Basil has hyperthyroidism and is on medication which, I am glad to say is working. He is pretty thin, skeletal in fact but putting weight on albeit very slowly.
Any tips on how to put weight ON a cat rather than off!

I don't want to overdo it of course as that can cause problems with liver etc.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2012, 12:13 PM

Re: Cat Health

I have the same problem with one of my dogs and the vet has said to feed some pasta. There are mixed views about this over on the dogsey forum though. Have you asked the vet to suggest something ?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2012, 12:26 PM

Hi Stablelady with any dog or cat needing to put weight on I would aim to feed little and often .
Sardines in oil (not brine) are good for putting weight on. I would drain the oil off first and wrap each sardine in kitchen roll to remove the excess oil before feeding. Minced tripe is good too
stablelady
Angus, Scotland
stablelady is female  stablelady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Not as yet, will ask her at the end of the month when he gets his hopefully last blood test for a few months (he is costing me an arm and a leg!).

A good tip from my old vet was to feed a piece of lard every day to dogs in poor condition. It has to be lard (pig fat). It works a treat, I had a bitch in very poor nick after having too many pups at once. I fed her chicken, minced beef etc. and she had her bit of lard ... the weight came on brilliantly and she was feeding pups at the same time.

I have to try and keep food away from my dogs, Sadie has a chronic Bronchial problem and is on steroids so I have to keep her weight down and Paddy the old man is 16 and of course is exhibiting the old dog behaviour of eating continually if he can get away with it!

Great fun at feeding time in my house!
stablelady
Angus, Scotland

31-01-2012, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Stablelady with any dog or cat needing to put weight on I would aim to feed little and often .
Sardines in oil (not brine) are good for putting weight on. I would drain the oil off first and wrap each sardine in kitchen roll to remove the excess oil before feeding. Minced tripe is good too
Yes, am doing the little and often, but he was so bad before we worked out what was wrong with him. His thyroid count was 90, lucky to still be here! He was 2.3kgs at one point, 2.9 now and rising! He wouldn't eat sardines before, might try that again though. Am concentrating on a high protein diet at the moment. Thanks!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2012, 11:31 PM

Sorry haven't got any advice to offer you, really don't know too much about cats, but I hope Basil starts putting weight on soon......
stablelady
Angus, Scotland

15-02-2012, 04:11 PM

Just back from seeing Helen the vet. Basil is now 3.2 kg, heart rate 160 .. down from 210. Result... got my cat back big style! He is back to his old ways .. even going out for the occasional promenade. The lower medication is working really well, that's it for 6 months now, I just have to phone once a month for a repeat prescription
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2012, 10:49 PM

Great news Stablelaldy. Pleased Basil is doing well now

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top