Join for free
Page 5 of 55 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Scotland
Scotland
Scotland is male 

28-06-2011, 06:57 AM

Re: What books are you reading now?

At the moment I am most of the way through "The Taking" by Dean Koontz.
The wife bought it for a pound in a supermarket.
Im near to the end and finding it really boring. I cant wait till its finished then I can buy a more interesting book.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 06:29 PM

I recently finished
'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold, a novel written from the perspective of a rape/murder victim.
I found it riveting until the last few chapters when it seemed to get a little lost.

I am now reading 'Strange Places, Questionable People'
by John Simpson.
quote Amazon..
John Simpson has had an extraordinary professional life: he has been to 101 countries, interviewed 120 rulers of various persuasions, and witnessed 29 wars and uprisings. He had an ill-fated spell reading the Nine O'Clock News, and was also the BBC political correspondent (which he loathed).

I am enoying the book and finding it very interesting.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 07:08 PM

Well I am ashamed to say ...I am not reading at the moment, well about a year really. The last book I read was The Island byVictoria Hislop.
Daisygee
Oxfordshire, UK
Daisygee is female  Daisygee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 09:27 PM

I've never heard of half of the books mentioned (well, more than half really), but it is fascinating hearing about what people read. I've just started Anna Karenina, as it's a book that I have never read (and it's free on Kindle).
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2011, 10:26 PM

I love the free Kindle books, Daisygee, also the 99 cent ones; can't go wrong at those prices. Actually, I've found some excellent reads that way. Anna Karenina's a classic, read it back in school. I like fiction: psychological suspense, medical thrillers, some sci-fi and fantasy ... anything that's an engrossing read!.

The new Ruth Rendell, anyone? She is unsurpassible in her genre!
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

28-06-2011, 11:45 PM

I don't seem to get the time to read these days,

I did get through a lot of stuff when trying to keep down the hospital food but that is another story.

I did like an old Charles De Lint Fantasy, Greenmantle.
And James Herberts Magic Cottage kept my attention for hours.

I have to confess that the Kate Ellis: Wesley Peterson Murder Mysteries were nice to pass the time but got a bit samey after the first half dozen.

Much the same with Stuart Pawson: and his Charlie Priest Mysteries.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I love the free Kindle books, Daisygee, also the 99 cent ones; can't go wrong at those prices. Actually, I've found some excellent reads that way. Anna Karenina's a classic, read it back in school. I like fiction: psychological suspense, medical thrillers, some sci-fi and fantasy ... anything that's an engrossing read!.

The new Ruth Rendell, anyone? She is unsurpassible in her genre!
Eileen I used to like Ruth Rendall but rarely read fiction these days unless like the book above someone passes it on to me.
I don't have a lot of time available for reading and when I do read I prefer biographical books. I think I have one of RRs books in the house somewhere.
Daisygee
Oxfordshire, UK
Daisygee is female  Daisygee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't have a lot of time available for reading .
I think this is my problem too, and I am often telling myself 'Make time for reading!' I love reading and find that it's a habit I keep getting out of.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2011, 08:18 PM

I've been an avid reader as soon as I learned how. My Mom used to say "That child always has her nose in a book" .....I'm in the process of moving, and mentioned before there was a bookcase in every room but the living room and bathrooms. Yes, one in the kitchen ... cookbooks!! Finding time for other things is my problem, Daisygee.
Daisygee
Oxfordshire, UK

29-06-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Finding time for other things is my problem, Daisygee.
I certainly think you have your priorities right, dandysmom. There is absolutely nothing quite like a good book. It's just brilliant and magical when you get lost in the story, isn't it? But do you ever get that deflated feeling when the book you are reading is finished? Like you just want it to go on for ever? I really must make more time for reading ....

Page 5 of 55 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top