Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 03:18 AM

Re: Goodbye Vista!

Goodbye Vista and good riddance, like Windows 8 it was a dog of an operating system.
Shadowman
Wisconsin, USA
Shadowman is male  Shadowman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 04:18 AM

I have an old Vista desktop machine and a modern laptop with Windows 10. One by one certain websites have become limited on the Vista because it cannot update beyond Internet Explorer 9, and the same with other browsers. Yahoo mail, facebook, twitter, and others have limited functionality with Vista. According to some technology accounts Windows 10 will be the last of the line and whatever the future holds, hopefully, it will be easier to use and less overbuilt. I don't need 90% of what is available on Windows 10.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Shadowman ->
I have an old Vista desktop machine and a modern laptop with Windows 10. One by one certain websites have become limited on the Vista because it cannot update beyond Internet Explorer 9, and the same with other browsers. Yahoo mail, facebook, twitter, and others have limited functionality with Vista. According to some technology accounts Windows 10 will be the last of the line and whatever the future holds, hopefully, it will be easier to use and less overbuilt. I don't need 90% of what is available on Windows 10.
That's how it's been on my Dell pc. In actual fact, I have been disillusioned with the whole thing for years, always freezing, running slow, websites not loading fully...so I'm not sorry to put it into retirement!

What I WILL miss is WMC, but I shall use the computer to run this programme at times. Have to remember to disable the wireless facility, so it doesn't connect to the internet.

So I now only have the W7 laptop, and the all in one, running 8.1.

Let's see how we get on with these.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Goodbye Vista and good riddance, like Windows 8 it was a dog of an operating system.
Very true.

Running W10, I disabled Windows Update some time ago. I don't need any more 'improvements', thank you.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Very true.

Running W10, I disabled Windows Update some time ago. I don't need any more 'improvements', thank you.
The trouble is they con us by stating that the updates are 'critical' whereas in reality they are just additions to programmes like Microsoft Word.

I uninstalled all the Windows updates and even did a reinstall but my programmes still don't run.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2017, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The trouble is they con us by stating that the updates are 'critical' whereas in reality they are just additions to programmes like Microsoft Word.

I uninstalled all the Windows updates and even did a reinstall but my programmes still don't run.
I'm afraid I'm not expert enough to explain why that happened, but I wonder whether Micro$oft has somehow managed to modify Windows even though you have reinstalled it.

Whilst my W10 is still working properly, I shall not be installing any more updates and hope that this will prevent M$ taking over any more of my computer!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top