Join for free
Page 11 of 14 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 09:46 PM

Re: Brexit, what a mess we are in.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
My pies and sausages are produced in test tube as they are mostly quorn, now there's a product we should produce more of.

We need to make things like we used to, we need to buy British like we used to.

I made millions of hair dryers in my first job, bring back manufacturing to our country. We made better quality hair dryers than anything you can buy now.
Hi

Quorn is made in the UK, but the company which makes it is not British, it is Filipino.

We need to make things?

Who is this we?

An awful lot of our industry is foreign owned, it is not owned by" us".

They will produce where they make most profit.

Dyson vacuum cleaners are now made abroad.

There is this fantasy that we can produce things here and attract investment.

Corbyn promised to up minimum wage to £10, introduce more power to the Unions and tax the companies profits more.

We are not going to be creating manufacturing jobs with that lot, the foreign companies simply will not come here.

Many came to the Uk because we where in the EU, so access to the Single Market, tariff free.

With the Hard Brexit you want, they will no longer have tariff free access, they will have to pay tariffs, further reducing their profits, and being foreign owned, will simply set up shop in the EU rather than here.

A hard Brexit could have worked, by attracting Industry by slashing Corporation Tax and deregulation, cutting the myriads of EU Rules and Regulations.

Corbyn is totally opposed to that, he wants more taxation, not less.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Bald are you?
Boom Boom.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 10:05 PM

If you make a premium product they will come running for it.
Educate for trades rather than Business Studies, there are still lots of takers.
Invest in people, peoples education, health and welfare.
Raise teaching standards, lower working credits in conjunction with higher wages.

I have met some lazy bar stewards over my 55 working years, but by far the majority want a fair days wage and a word of appreciation for a fair days work.
Give that to people and they will sweat blood for you.
Devalue them......by 'topping up' wages with benefits and hand outs and they feel devalued and act accordingly.
There are some hardcore scroungers, but most people would prefer to be in rewarding work given the chance.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 10:22 PM

Hi

I quite agree with investing in education for trades rather than stuff we do not need.

A very simple example, we have people on the dole who cannot afford to train as HGV drivers.

Provide the training for free, get them working and no need to import HGV Drivers.
Bruv
Kent UK

13-06-2017, 10:41 PM

Why are so many so called useless courses available anyway ?
Media studies or as somebody I worked with years ago The History of Renaissance Art.......or similar, during the summer of 76 working while looking for another uni place.
When asked what he would use it for he shrugged his shoulders and smiled..

Couldn't the government make quotas for courses so there is a balance for jobs in need of graduates ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Media studies or as somebody I worked with years ago The History of Renaissance Art.......or similar, during the summer of 76 working while looking for another uni place.
When asked what he would use it for he shrugged his shoulders and smiled..

Couldn't the government make quotas for courses so there is a balance for jobs in need of graduates ?
I couldn't agree more.

If the government agreed to pay grants for useful degrees, such as medicine, languages, engineering and science subjects; but not for Mickey Mouse degrees; I have a distinct feeling that we would begin to see the end of such 'useless courses'.

If someone really wants to study dancing or 'meeja studies', let them pay for them themselves.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2017, 11:23 PM

Vaguely flippant, but it has gone bedtime

matchpoint
London
matchpoint is male 

14-06-2017, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Its not the course thats the problem. All people are different. Some want to do well, Some find things too difficult and change. Some set out to take the "P"iss.

Example:
A Media Studies student studies for 3/4 years, achieves a 1.1 at university - What does that tell a potential employer ?

A Media Studies student studies for 3/4 years achieves a 3 at university - what does that tell a potential employer ?

A Media Studies student spends a year at university and doesn't even bother going to the 1st end of year exams then drops off the course.

Which would you employ?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by matchpoint ->

Which one's would you employ?
Not that one!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2017, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by matchpoint ->
Its not the course thats the problem. All people are different. Some want to do well, Some find things too difficult and change. Some set out to take the "P"iss.

Example:
A Media Studies student studies for 3/4 years, achieves a 1.1 at university - What does that tell a potential employer ?

A Media Studies student studies for 3/4 years achieves a 3 at university - what does that tell a potential employer ?

A Media Studies student spends a year at university and doesn't even bother going to the 1st end of year exams then drops off the course.

Which would you employ?
I agree.

But what's a 1.1?

Page 11 of 14 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top