Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 04:02 PM

Re: Have You Ever Sold Scrap Gold?

If bought new....I agree.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 04:03 PM

Recently advertised and sold my 2carat anniversary ring . It was bought 15 yrs ago for £1600 and I got £500 . I'm no longer into jewellery , just not interested , the ring had been in a drawer for 14 yrs and hardly worn . I'll.never buy jewellery again .

Friend sold her 3 , yes 3 wedding rings and lots of old broken gold for a few hundred recently she was chuffed and had a holiday on the cash .
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 04:35 PM

Yes, I’ve sold scrap gold on-line, also eBay. Lots of places will quote you scrap price but if they get chance to sell for more they will of course!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 04:40 PM

Art, it's a pity you didn't think to ask our Jem for advice, he's our resident goldsmith. I bet he could have advised you.
Too late now of course, but may be worth thinking about if there is a next time.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 05:36 PM

I took a few pieces into a local jeweller just a few months ago.
Small bits that really I didn't expect any real response towards. However, much to my surprise they calculated that in part exchange total would have been in the region of £250.00 . I decided not to go with it at that time, and thought I may try somewhere that buys it outright, but maybe not such a good idea having read your account.
Anyway, they are back in the draw again. Price of gold also goes up and down quite a lot. So we never really now what we should be expecting do we ?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Recently advertised and sold my 2carat anniversary ring . It was bought 15 yrs ago for £1600 and I got £500 . I'm no longer into jewellery , just not interested , the ring had been in a drawer for 14 yrs and hardly worn . I'll.never buy jewellery again .

Friend sold her 3 , yes 3 wedding rings and lots of old broken gold for a few hundred recently she was chuffed and had a holiday on the cash .
Mark up on new items is 100% as a rule, (maybe more) plus VAT. so I reckon that was probably a good price. It's long been said that second hand jewellery is a better buy.
Jude
Germany
Jude is female  Jude has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 06:45 PM

I've sold quite a lot of old gold chains, coins and broken earrings etc. to an online firm Hatton Garden Metals over the last few years. They are a reputable firm, they print out the current gold prices on their web site every day. On my first transaction I made enough money to pay for a Nile Cruise.

http://www.hattongardenmetals.com/
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 07:42 PM

I´ve never sold any, but I have a 22 carat gold chain, which is really quite heavy. I bought it in Singapore, I think it was around 6 or 7 hundred pounds, just a really mad moment at the time. I think it´s been worn twice at the most.

Once home we had the chain valued by a very reputable jeweller, he sent it somewhere, not sure where, but it came back with the valuation, two thousand, one hundred pounds and a note saying if I had it assayed the value would go up to around three thousand pounds.

A friend any myself decided to see what it would sell for and we went to a jewellers in town who had a gold buyer on the premises. After waiting for about half an hour the gold buyer offered 50 pounds ! I was disgusted and told him so, I then showed him the receipts and the official valuation of the chain. He flustered and blustered and upped his offer, but I told him I wasn´t selling it to him and no doubt seeing it in the window next day with a 3 thousand pounds price tag.

I still have the chain, with it´s receipts and valuation, it´s still only been worn twice. If I get desperate I might consider selling it, other than that I´ll most likely give it to my daughter in law to do with as she wants.
Jude
Germany
Jude is female  Jude has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 08:05 PM

I have a reasonably heavy 22ct gold chain which weighs 40 g I was quoted the price of 1083 pounds a couple of weeks ago when I asked about selling it. I've had it about 40 years now so didn't pay anywhere near that price. I don't know the weight of your chain but to be offered just 50 pounds for it was an absolute joke.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 08:19 PM

No, I don't really have any precious jewellery or gold its not my thing I suppose which is just as well really as no one ever bought me any

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top