Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Marie Rachel
Phila Pa
Marie Rachel is female  Marie Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2011, 10:13 PM

Re: Love where you live do you?

If anyone would like to know what boat house row is about, here is the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boathouse_Row

Gosh, I just realised how long it's been since I've been there. It's strange..the Liberty Bell is here too, but I think I only saw it when going on class trips so so many years ago! lol. Maybe I should take that tourist tour of my own town! I'm sure there is alot I haven't seen. Edgar Allan Poe also rented a house here, and now is a museum..as well as the Betsy Ross house. Those I have seen. We also are known for America's OLDEST Zoo. let me tell you, it looks it. They have made improvements, but still it's not like San Diego Zoo or some of the nations best.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2011, 10:17 PM

Marie, I think natives tend not to go to the tourist sites; I was born and raised here in Washington and have only been to some of them as we were dragged there on school field trips. Worked for many years a block and a half from the White House, never been to it nor the Washington Monument, Vietnam Memorial, etc .....
Marie Rachel
Phila Pa
Marie Rachel is female  Marie Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2011, 10:21 PM

I get that! I've been to Washington and went to the Smithstonian! It was great. Our city has had its bad stuff too, so now I tend to go to things in the burbs or the surrounding areas. There is a famous Cheesesteak place that I still visit though in south phila. It's called Geno's. The owner just passed away. However, in my opinion its not the best place for our cheesesteaks that we are known for. But we all have our own tastes!

My niece lives in Arlington and visits Washington quite often. Especially cherry blossom time!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2011, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Marie Rachel ->
I get that! I've been to Washington and went to the Smithstonian! It was great. Our city has had its bad stuff too, so now I tend to go to things in the burbs or the surrounding areas. There is a famous Cheesesteak place that I still visit though in south phila. It's called Geno's. The owner just passed away. However, in my opinion its not the best place for our cheesesteaks that we are known for. But we all have our own tastes!

My niece lives in Arlington and visits Washington quite often. Especially cherry blossom time!
Marie, I have to ask..... what are cheesesteaks? I've never heard of them before
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2011, 10:36 PM

Mags, Philly cheesesteaks are famous.... I'll let Marie explain!
Marie Rachel
Phila Pa

14-10-2011, 10:38 PM

Ok, well here is a link to Geno's. He was much about speaking english when you ordered one of his steaks. I have to mention that the picture doesn't do the sandwich justice, but it is chipped steak,,(steak that is cut super thin) and then grilled. Toppings are cheese, fried or raw onions, green peppers, mushrooms, pepperoni! Anything really. They are delish!

http://www.genosteaks.com/

EDIT: also they should be on a good roll, our preference, Amoroso's! and also people use ketchup and hot or sweet peppers and pickles as sides.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2011, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the link, Marie ...... Philly cheesesteaks look really scrumptious!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

14-10-2011, 11:25 PM

A little more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheesesteak

I'm not a fan, prefer a good Italian meatball sub ......
Marie Rachel
Phila Pa

14-10-2011, 11:49 PM

They are really good, but you have to know where to get them as they all are not created equal. My favorite places are Jims on South St. Chinks on Torresdale Ave. and Steves Prince of Steaks on Roosevelt Blvd. and of course, Geno's. I like provolone cheese on mine, no wiz for me, with fried onions, no ketchup with salt and pepper. A hot pepper on the side is good too.
I had one for dinner tonight. Homemade. But you have to go to a butcher to get right kind of meat and sliced the way it should be. Was awsome!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2011, 07:37 AM

I think I live in Gods country.

http://

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top