Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Re: Kenwood Chef anyone ?

Hi Meg- Another Kenwood chef fan here.
I had one for a long time that I bought second hand off a friend many years ago.
I then bought a new magimix machine and gave my Kenwood away but I regretted parting with it and eventually bought a new one.
The Kenwood chef is an exellent machine with all the gadgets needed for making anything from light sponge to bread dough.
The one I have is a 700w and is more than adequate.
I have had a bread making machine but I prefer the traditional way of making bread and the Kenwood takes all the hard work out of kneading the dough.
I haven't made any bread for a while so I think I will get my Kenwood out and give it another bread making session.
I much prefer homemade bread but I haven't made it with fresh yeast for years as I have used dried yeast instead.
If I can get hold of some fresh yeast I would like to make some bread the old fashioned way.

Does anyone have recipes for breads made with fresh yeast?
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 04:37 PM

They will sell you fresh yeast at your supermarket bakery dept. You might be lucky and if you are then the baker may give you some.

The naked chef used to joke that if you went into Sainsbury and told them that he had sent you then they would give you free yeast but I should think that joke has grown old.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
We used to have one which never gave us problems, we had every gadget under the sun until we decided to re-cycle them, now we are using what we were born with as we have no need to break the sound barrier rushing here and there to try to save a few minutes each day.

Get one as the only person who can really say it is right for you is yourself.
In a lot of cases our food processors and mixers are not just gadgets. When arthur ritis knocks on the door they become necessities, I certainly couldn't beat cake mix or knead bread dough anymore but my trusty food processor does all the donkey work.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the info. Cookiecate.
I'll give the supermarket a try for some fresh yeast.
Your are right about kitchen aids they take the strain off aging hands.
It's not just laziness even unscrewing jars and containers becomes difficult when arthur decides to visit.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by rueben ->
Thanks for the info. Cookiecate.
I'll give the supermarket a try for some fresh yeast.
Your are right about kitchen aids they take the strain off aging hands.
It's not just laziness even unscrewing jars and containers becomes difficult when arthur decides to visit.
Hi Ruben I am unable to buy fresh yeast at the supermarket but can get it from the health food shop intermittently.

You can also buy it from Amazon as long as it is fresh and not stale it can be cut into portions and frozen for a month, some freeze it for longer.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fresh-Yeast-...0950746&sr=8-1
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
In a lot of cases our food processors and mixers are not just gadgets. When arthur ritis knocks on the door they become necessities, I certainly couldn't beat cake mix or knead bread dough anymore but my trusty food processor does all the donkey work.
Cate I am having a problem with my hands, thumbs mainly and find kneading painful, this is mainly why I am looking at food mixers now after all these years of managing by hand.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

10-11-2011, 07:58 PM

Does anyone have recipes for breads made with fresh yeast?
Ruben you can adapt any recipe remembering that..

When you want to substitute dried or easy-blend yeast for fresh, use half the quantity specified for fresh. Easy-blend yeast is typically sold in sachets of 7g/Ľoz , so one sachet is approximately equivalent to 14-15g/˝oz of fresh yeast.
rueben
lancs uk

10-11-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Ruben I am unable to buy fresh yeast at the supermarket but can get it from the health food shop intermittently.

You can also buy it from Amazon as long as it is fresh and not stale it can be cut into portions and frozen for a month, some freeze it for longer.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fresh-Yeast-...0950746&sr=8-1
Thanks Meg- I have seen it on Amazon and wondered about getting some from there.
I'll try my local supermarkets first and if they are unable to let me have any I'll have a look at Amazon again.
Pabicus
Tayside, UK
Pabicus is male 

10-11-2011, 08:22 PM

The lady wife has one and is using it right now, making cheese scones and other items of a coffee morning. I always enjoy yhe result
rueben
lancs uk

10-11-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Ruben you can adapt any recipe remembering that..

When you want to substitute dried or easy-blend yeast for fresh, use half the quantity specified for fresh. Easy-blend yeast is typically sold in sachets of 7g/Ľoz , so one sachet is approximately equivalent to 14-15g/˝oz of fresh yeast.
That's helpful to know So all I need to do is double up on weight with fresh compared to dry.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top