Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 10:54 PM

Re: Still working or retired?

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I actually found going digital liberating. I had a Minolta film camera with a bunch of different lenses.I got some fairly decent photographs. But each frame you get developed has a cost. So you are selective about those you take.

With digital you don't have that limitation. The memory chip in my current camera can store over 5,000 shots - and I have a spare.. Not that Have got remotely close to using that.

It took me a while to get my head round this and change my approach.
The problem then becomes one of organising and storing the images.

Where in Turkey if you don't mind saying? I've been there a few times, mostly on business.
I am maybe going back a bit further Besoeker to black and white photography. I did all my own film and print processing. I found I had more control in the darkroom. I am not up to the enhancing images of the digital era. Concerning Turkey we have travelled to many places in western Turkey namely Istanbul, Ankara, Bursa, Çanakkale and Kapadokya. Lately we have been going to the more leisurely resorts in the south west,
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
You might say, why don’t you get a job? Yes, great idea but when they see your age on an application form, you don’t stand a chance!
You don't have to state your age and they can't ask.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
If they do.......you can always lie as most of the male population do. Go on - you know you can do it!! Take ten years......no no no .....make it twenty years off!!
Ray Cathode
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
have only one client left (which isn't strictly self employed!)

Ah IR35 (unless you work for the BBC)
Ray Cathode

01-12-2018, 11:54 PM

If they do.......you can always lie as most of the male population do. Go on - you know you can do it!! Take ten years......no no no .....make it twenty years off!!

Well chronologically I'm in my sixties but attitudinally I don't feel much different from my 30s, though I'm not sure who that is in the mirror.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 11:55 PM

Ah IR35 (unless you work for the BBC)
IR35........ I certainly hope not! Self employment has to start somewhere and end somewhere. That's the basis of my argument! I have an on-going advert seeking work.......but my greatest nightmare is some swanky, snowflake, goody too-shoes, who knows nothing about the Taxpayers Charter.......is going to run an inspection and insist I backdate the past eight to ten years on PAYE.......... That would be enough to leave the country suddenly!!!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Some of you know my situation, others don’t. Here I will pour it out regardless.

54, I’ve worked on a permanent night shift for over thirteen years for a company I’ve been with since I left the RAF in 2000.
Supposedly permanent night shift is better for your health than rotating shifts.

I worked rotating shifts virtually all my working life most of it was three shifts ie day, afternoon, nights but the last 10 years of working I was on 12 hour shifts - 6 to 6.

What a difference they made. They took a while to get used to , indeed some people resigned because they didn't want to work that shift system but personally I thought they were great - far more time off.

The first night shift was hell, by midnight I felt I had been there for a week but once you got used to it they were a doddle.

I actually enjoyed my work, it was one of those jobs where you really only work when things go wrong, ie 90% boredom 10% terror, but when I reached 60 I decided there were other things I wanted to do.

(I was never actually bored - always books to read, crosswords to complete, people to chat with, plans to make etc.)
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Just volunteered for this which is going to kick off next year..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...NHS-staff.html
I was going to suggest this to members here! Seems a very worthwhile cause. I’d volunteer if I didn’t have the pup.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 03:53 PM

Ray, They used to, the same they used to ask if you had children.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2018, 03:56 PM

Lindy, You were probably joking but l would never lie, l just couldn’t do it. Anyway, who would want to employ a liar?

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top