Join for free
Page 17 of 28 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2019, 01:53 PM

Re: Had enough of the UK

Originally Posted by d00d ->
And the irony is ....

These Brexiters, living in the mid 20c, wanting to do damage to Germany, are quite prepared to bring down a couple of dozen others with it, some of which are our oldest allies.

So now is not a good time to think about moving elsewhere in Europe.
Why?

I have never said that I detest other EU countries (except France, of course. Too many Frogs.)

We have just returned from a few days in Vienna and found it a lovely place to live. We stayed in an apartment, so were pretty much looking after ourselves. Incidentally, I can highly recommend it if anyone should go to Vienna. It's called 'My Place' and is near to the Rosslände underground station: very convenient for access to the middle of the city and, for that matter, just about everywhere else. Their transport system makes ours look amateurish.

Vienna appears to be a very safe and attractive city and, yes, I could certainly live there.

As others have said, it's not the people (except for the Frogs, of course), but the politicians.

(I had a right laugh at what Marge said in the supermarket there, but I'll post that in the Humour section!)

EDIT:
And another interesting discovery.

In each of the several bars we visited, we found ashtrays on every table and people smoking away happily!

To be honest, it didn't bother me at all and even Marge took it in her stride!

However, what happened to the EU ruling that smoking in pubs, and all other public enclosed spaces for that matter, is now illegal?

I assume it's just another case of our glorious government doing everything they are told to without question, whereas every other country in the EU just ignores any diktat with which they disagree!

What a country we live in.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2019, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Why?

I have never said that I detest other EU countries (except France, of course. Too many Frogs.)

We have just returned from a few days in Vienna and found it a lovely place to live. We stayed in an apartment, so were pretty much looking after ourselves. Incidentally, I can highly recommend it if anyone should go to Vienna. It's called 'My Place' and is near to the Rosslände underground station: very convenient for access to the middle of the city and, for that matter, just about everywhere else. Their transport system makes ours look amateurish.

Vienna appears to be a very safe and attractive city and, yes, I could certainly live there.

As others have said, it's not the people (except for the Frogs, of course), but the politicians.

(I had a right laugh at what Marge said in the supermarket there, but I'll post that in the Humour section!)

EDIT:
And another interesting discovery.

In each of the several bars we visited, we found ashtrays on every table and people smoking away happily!

To be honest, it didn't bother me at all and even Marge took it in her stride!

However, what happened to the EU ruling that smoking in pubs, and all other public enclosed spaces for that matter, is now illegal?

I assume it's just another case of our glorious government doing everything they are told to without question, whereas every other country in the EU just ignores any diktat with which they disagree!

What a country we live in.
Glad you enjoyed your few days away JBR.

I've been to several places in Europe (mainly Germany) and to Jersey. In all those places I've thought, "Yes, I could certainly live here" ..but then I think living in a country year after year would probably be a lot different to being there for short periods of time, such as holidays. I suspect that below the holiday exteriors, every country has its 'less than ideal' aspects.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2019, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Glad you enjoyed your few days away JBR.

I've been to several places in Europe (mainly Germany) and to Jersey. In all those places I've thought, "Yes, I could certainly live here" ..but then I think living in a country year after year would probably be a lot different to being there for short periods of time, such as holidays. I suspect that below the holiday exteriors, every country has its 'less than ideal' aspects.
Yes, I fully appreciate that. I did, after all, only live there for five days and, what's more, experienced only limited parts of the location. I wasn't involved in any financial dealings (above the obvious necessities), such as tax, various other charges and payments, etc.

I did, however, receive a very favourable impression of the place and the people.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2019, 05:10 PM

I've never been to Austria JBR but I think the buildings and look of the towns/cities in Germany are often somehow prettier than ours. Is that so with Vienna?

When our German relatives stay, the thing that seems to impress them are, funnily enough, the shopping precincts. Probably because they live in places less densely populated than where we are. Not so many large shops/supermarkets.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

04-03-2019, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I've never been to Austria JBR but I think the buildings and look of the towns/cities in Germany are often somehow prettier than ours. Is that so with Vienna?

When our German relatives stay, the thing that seems to impress them are, funnily enough, the shopping precincts. Probably because they live in places less densely populated than where we are. Not so many large shops/supermarkets.
Certainly much cleaner than what we see over here, except for the graffiti! However, I'm assured that the graffiti, and there's a great deal of it, is 'art work' and people are quite happy for it to be there.

There were plenty of shops in the middle of Vienna, but I suppose out in the country things might be different.

From what I saw, Vienna was much the same as German cities we have visited.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2019, 08:10 PM

Austria is lovely.
Very pretty clean place even out in the sticks......
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2019, 08:58 PM

I thought you didn't like the EU?
You want to leave a soon to be ex EU country to go to Europe.
I want to stay in the EU, yet you voted for me to leave it!
Yet again on another thread someone telling a remainer to leave the country!
Very odd!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2019, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I thought you didn't like the EU?
You want to leave a soon to be ex EU country to go to Europe.
I want to stay in the EU, yet you voted for me to leave it!
Yet again on another thread someone telling a remainer to leave the country!
Very odd!
I said I was fed up with the UK Tess.........
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2019, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Same.

But I just cannot see it atm.
It's getting progressively worse, not better.

We appear to have gone from a country with the "British Bulldog Spirit" to a bunch of appeasing weak namby pambies.
. . . and the appeasing runs to all the way to a desire to be governed by referenda instead of the traditional "bulldog" of parliamentary democracy, as the Brexit issue testifies.

Long live traditional parliamentary democracy! Down with "namby pamby" shandy-pants girly-girly foreign referenda!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

04-03-2019, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
. . . and the appeasing runs to all the way to a desire to be governed by referenda instead of the traditional "bulldog" of parliamentary democracy, as the Brexit issue testifies.

Long live traditional parliamentary democracy! Down with "namby pamby" shandy-pants girly-girly foreign referenda!
Says an appeasing apologist....

Page 17 of 28 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top