Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 11:11 PM

Re: Waste of Space

The trouble is Bob, the kids on the park emulate their heroes.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2012, 12:18 AM

I don't usually get involved in the Football versus Rugby debate even although the latter was once my sport of choice, but as Hammer has said even Rugby has had some terrible incidents in recent years so I've lost interest now.

As some of you have mentioned the influence of the big M has changed sport (Almost all types of sport) and as one person above has said I fear it will never be the same again, that's why I turn off when ever the Sky sports presenters come on (Which is about 40 minutes in every hour on the rolling news channel )

The faceless ones behind the cameras who negotiate the contracts with the clubs are calling the shots now, and once the contracts are signed the TV companies do everything in their power to persuade viewers to watch what they have paid for, and believe me they have a whole host of subliminal tricks to get you to watch, and then of course they can 'sell' that viewer number to the advertisers and so the wheel goes around, it's only the poor spectators who are being manipulated, and they don't know it
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2012, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
I don't usually get involved in the Football versus Rugby debate even although the latter was once my sport of choice, but as Hammer has said even Rugby has had some terrible incidents in recent years so I've lost interest now.

As some of you have mentioned the influence of the big M has changed sport (Almost all types of sport) and as one person above has said I fear it will never be the same again, that's why I turn off when ever the Sky sports presenters come on (Which is about 40 minutes in every hour on the rolling news channel )

The faceless ones behind the cameras who negotiate the contracts with the clubs are calling the shots now, and once the contracts are signed the TV companies do everything in their power to persuade viewers to watch what they have paid for, and believe me they have a whole host of subliminal tricks to get you to watch, and then of course they can 'sell' that viewer number to the advertisers and so the wheel goes around, it's only the poor spectators who are being manipulated, and they don't know it
I've circumvented this problem very well Losos matey, I have a FREEview box, which means no money is paid to the Murdochs whatsoever, I don't watch football on my television in any event, in fact I detest the 'game'. The only 'sport' I will admit to watching is snooker.
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2012, 08:23 PM

(Wrinkly said: The trouble is Bob, the kids on the park emulate their heroes.)

Quite true my friend and that is why the game needs to be supervised more seriously at grass roots, schools, academies etc, too many of today's 'heroes' are just spoilt over paid brats anyway but there again, it all leads back to the one thing, money!
Ah yes Uncle Joe, you must have seen Neil Robertson's first Masters title win and he did it in style 10-6.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bob.b ->
(Wrinkly said: The trouble is Bob, the kids on the park emulate their heroes.)

Quite true my friend and that is why the game needs to be supervised more seriously at grass roots, schools, academies etc, too many of today's 'heroes' are just spoilt over paid brats anyway but there again, it all leads back to the one thing, money!
Ah yes Uncle Joe, you must have seen Neil Robertson's first Masters title win and he did it in style 10-6.
Yes Bob matey I did see it - a very exciting game and as you say Neil Robertson 'played a blinder'!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
The trouble is Bob, the kids on the park emulate their heroes.
I think that is one of the problems , less 'kids in the park'.

When I was a child large numbers of children 'played out' when not at school, boys and girls alike, it was football, cricket or rounders depending on the weather.
No park needed, any bit of old ground or between the houses would do with jumpers for goal posts or stumps.

This meant there was a huge pool of prospective players to choose from and any prima donnas were easily replaced.
Not so many children seem to 'play out' these days for a variety of reasons.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Last week we visited my wife's cousin who has just moved to a retirement apartment in Prestbury, just north of Macclesfield.

It appears that Rooney is a next door neighbour to the apartment complex and it seems that his arrogance and yobbery doesn't end on the pitch. He apparently has a couple of Chows which are not kept in or controlled, and terrorise everyone else's pets in the grounds of the apartments and he refuses to take notice of the complaints. Don't you just love those people...
annabelle9
Devon
annabelle9 is female 

24-01-2012, 04:51 PM

I think we oldies have short memories, George Best is a footie hero, was he an alcoholic, womaniser a suitable role model?

Society imho has become far more judgemental, take tennis would Ilie Nasase's tantrums be acceptable now?

As for the money side of it, blame the system not the players.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top