Join for free
Page 7 of 22 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »
stablelady
Angus, Scotland
stablelady is female  stablelady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Re: Dieting

I have had to watch my weight since I was 14. At first the Doc thought I had inherited my Mother's Thyroid problem. That was negative so I was sent to see a dietician.

If you want to see a dietician then you just have to ask your Doctor. You will probably not like what they say, but you just have to bite the bullet!

I have always been sporty and done a lot of outdoor work .. my weight has ballooned again since I totally retired, hence my healthy eating plan, country dancing etc.!

As I said before the bottom line is .... if you want to lose weight the only prescription is eat less and exercise more, there is no magic cure!
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 02:39 PM

We will agree to disagree. I have lost 13lbs since January 30th. I have been unable to exercise because the weather is cold and my arthritis is really bad. I walk on the beach each day with my dog but that is it.

I have certainly cut down on the amount I eat but that is due to my low carb diet. I soooo wish I could go country dancing even swimming is a bit of a problem now.

I believe I have found my magic cure.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 03:36 PM

I assume that your dad was a type 1 diabetic when he died? It’s interesting to think that, had he followed the Atkins diet, he may have been able to reduce or even eliminate his need for insulin. I wonder if you would still be extoling the virtues of insulin if your farther had mistakenly read the instructions and overdosed himself because he didn’t do it right?

Remember everything we do in life carries a risk, but more so if we do not follow the guidelines properly. Drinking at least 2 litres of water a day is required just to replace what the body expels in perspiration, breathing, urinating and blood generation. If you do not replace that then your body will be dehydrated. The Atkins Diet recommends that you drink 8 x 8oz glasses of water a day to keep the body working healthily and stop protein building up in the kidneys.

The thing is, you, and many health professionals with your opinion have not understood or researched the Atkins diet are completely taken in by the negative publicity disseminated by the “Vested Interests”.

Who do you think sponsors the British Heart Foundation and Diabetes UK health reports? Well each year it’s a different organisation. When it’s Van Den Burghs, then butter is bad for you, when it’s the Dairy Council then butter is good for you. And what do you think is the result when Tate and Lyle put almost £600,000 donation into the Diabetes Research Council project to look into the effects of disguised sugars in our food chain? Fructose Corn Syrup, Dextrose, Sucrose, basically anything ending in ose is a sugar that is a poison to all of us, but especially to diabetics. So why do Diabetes UK not make this the headline on all their literature, because they would upset their pay master, the sugar industry.

On Page 11 of the Diabetes UK's Understanding Diabetes, Your Essential Guide Reviewed March 2010 Point number 7 states Limit sugar and sugary foods, this does not mean you need to eat a sugar-free diet. Sugar can be used in foods and in baking as part of a healthy diet. With no explanation of the facts how can your average diabetic realise that any amount of sugar is too much for a type 2 diabetic.

If you look at the “Eat Well Plate” you will see that a large proportion of what is on the plate is carbohydrate, fructose, starch and complex carbohydrates. Many obese people, especially those suffering health problems as a result have a very sedatery lifestyle. Just in case you were unaware, in order to burn off all the carb’s, sugars and proteins in the “Eat Well Plate” and not put any of it to fat an average person must exercise for 20min a day to a level that gets them out of breath. And that is just to burn the food you put in and not put on more weight.

This “Eat Well Plate” form of dieting does not solve the problem of glucose spikes caused when the body breaks down and works on the carb’s, complex carb’s and especially the fructose in the fruit. This causes the pancreas to have to release insulin and we are back into the glucose high and low cycle all over again.

The favourite word of these uninitiated and unknowledgeable “Health Professionals” is portion control. In other words, start the day hungry and eat foods that do not satisfy that hunger but will give you a hyper followed by a hypo and a craving for more of the same.

Another point that you the unknowledgeable fail to recognise is food addiction. I am not just talking about being addicted to putting things in your mouth to eat, I am talking about food that is designed to trigger certain endorphin receptors in the brain as they break down that convince you that you are hungry again, just an hour after a full meal. These are mostly found in high complex carb foods like pastas, breads and strangely fruits like apples and oranges.

And finally, what is it about people who have never understood or even attempted the Atkins diet but still want to pass judgement and make false assertions on those of us who do want to find out the truth and are on the diet and finding that it is healthy and does work.

You will be glad to know this is my last word on the subject of Atkins. I have studied and researched and this is what I know. As you all say each to his own and my own and my husband and sons own is Atkins.

A brilliant forum to talk about Atkins and losing weight is:
http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...bit-cross.html
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
I assume that your dad was a type 1 diabetic when he died? It’s interesting to think that, had he followed the Atkins diet, he may have been able to reduce or even eliminate his need for insulin. I wonder if you would still be extoling the virtues of insulin if your farther had mistakenly read the instructions and overdosed himself because he didn’t do it right?
Cate Atkins wasn’t even born when Dad started taking insulin in 1928 so he would have had a bit of trouble following his diet. I doubt there were any instructions to read on the insulin either.
Dad had no problem with taking a daily injection which he did for almost 70years . Living to the age of 89 years is no small achievement for a diabetic.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by stablelady ->
As I said before the bottom line is .... if you want to lose weight the only prescription is eat less and exercise more, there is no magic cure!
SL I agree and there are no magic cures ,the trouble is finding the willpower to eat less and exercise more isn't it .
My sister and nieces seem to be constantly going on diets, they lose weight only to put it back on again.

I have put weight on since I retired and know the answer to losing it,that is not the problem for me.The problem is maintaining the loss and staying at a stable weight because it means a change in lifestyle and eating a small balanced diet permanently with just the occasional treat and that isn't easy when you love cooking and food .
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

10-02-2012, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Cate Atkins wasn’t even born when Dad started taking insulin in 1928 so he would have had a bit of trouble following his diet. I doubt there were any instructions to read on the insulin either.
Dad had no problem with taking a daily injection which he did for almost 70years . Living to the age of 89 years is no small achievement for a diabetic.
Hate to sound argumentative and I did say that was my last word but actually insulin was discovered in 1922 by Frederick Banting and Charles Best they isolated insulin from dogs pancreas.
Before that Diabetics were given a low carb diet where they started off with a few carbs then gradually worked up until there urine showed no signs of sugar. The most famous Diabetic Manual for Doctor and Patient was written by Elliot P Joslin MD .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

10-02-2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Hate to sound argumentative and I did say that was my last word but actually insulin was discovered in 1922 by Frederick Banting and Charles Best they isolated insulin from dogs pancreas.
Before that Diabetics were given a low carb diet where they started off with a few carbs then gradually worked up until there urine showed no signs of sugar. The most famous Diabetic Manual for Doctor and Patient was written by Elliot P Joslin MD .
Cate I am not sure what point you are trying to make, I am well aware when insulin was first produced and by whom .
That does not alter the fact that Dad was given insulin in 1928 when he was 21 years old having been told by the Doctor he would not see his 22nd birthday. He was also told he was one of the first people to receive insulin in the local hospital.
You seem to be questioning what I have said about Dad, I have a cutting from the local paper about Dad written when he was 84 ....

Cate you seem to have a problem with my disagreeing with the Atkins diet and consider it to be some kind of personal insult. I am not alone in thinking Atkins is not a healthy diet and I am entitled to my opinion.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

10-02-2012, 09:00 PM

I have no problem with you disagreeing with the Atkins diet my problem is that you are trying to diseminate the common untruths and unresearched BS that many people do. I am under no illusion that you would go out of your way to personally insult me but I am just a little fed up with the negative reasonings with no knowledge. I would never disclaim any idea about anything unless I knew what I was talking about.

By the way my point was that Low Carb diets have been a leading help for diabetics since the early twenties. Now I think we have mauled this enough
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

10-02-2012, 09:12 PM

Post deleted, decided not to reply.
poppycock
hampshire England
poppycock is female  poppycock has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2012, 10:37 PM

well I have lost 7lbs this week with Atkins (low carb)

Page 7 of 22 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top