Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2011, 11:42 PM

Re: Restoring Quarry Tiles

Blimey, me mam used to buy that years ago, for the windowsills.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Hi Val,
As far as I know it will be ok on quarry tiles as well as ceramic or porcelain. It is solvent free and alkaline but a concentrate.

If you are a little worried about it why not dilute some of the concentrate 1:10 with some lukewarm water and try a test piece. Give a small area a good scrub with the dilute mixture and let it work for about 10 to 15 minutes giving it a good agitation every now and then so you don't let it dry out.

Rinse off with clean cold water and dry the area. If that is ok then perhaps you could try a neat solution on the heavier stained areas.
Thanks George I will give it a go but it is quite expensive so I wanted to be sure it is the right stuff. One area looks a darker colour and my kitchen fitter reckons its glue that got into the tiles so not sure if this will come off but will give it a good go.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
I did my old house some years ago and used red quarry tile polish which came in a tin rather like boot polish and it gave them a lovely warm depth and didnt make them slippery in the slightest. We got rid of the glue with some purpose tile cleaner bought from a proper hardwear store. I dont remember its name im afraid.
Yes Cassie I am going to use that polish as well as want to bring a bit more colour out of them. I bought a tin yesterday in fact from R Dyas.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

05-10-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Thanks George I will give it a go but it is quite expensive so I wanted to be sure it is the right stuff. One area looks a darker colour and my kitchen fitter reckons its glue that got into the tiles so not sure if this will come off but will give it a good go.
It was quite dear when I last got some Val but I thought it was worth the extra, I hope it works for you.

I guess that a little quality polish would improve the look but I would still be careful how much you use.
Having said that I once tested an area with a polish and oil mixture on the ex Mother In Law, sadly it did not work as she did not slip at all

It did not even slow her gob down for more than a second.
The Dog Lover
Watford

05-10-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
It was quite dear when I last got some Val but I thought it was worth the extra, I hope it works for you.

I guess that a little quality polish would improve the look but I would still be careful how much you use.
Having said that I once tested an area with a polish and oil mixture on the ex Mother In Law, sadly it did not work as she did not slip at all

It did not even slow her gob down for more than a second.

LOL re the ex Mother in Law

Re the Lithofin I have looked into it a bit more and they also do something called Wax Off which would seem more appropriate for the quarry tiles so if the Wickes stuff doesn't work I shall get some of that I think when back from sunny Spain.

Thanks for your help again which is most appreciated.

Val
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2019, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by hroiosl ->
In the first week, a more concentrated solution like Rug Doctor Portable Spot Cleaner should be used and it is advisable to wash the floors every day (well, or at least every other day). Thus, there is the colonization of beneficial bacteria. On the other hand, if you wash the floor every day, then the house will be clean and pleasant to smell without beneficial bacteria. It’s impossible to check the manufacturer’s claims that probiotics really settled on my floor. So far so good)
Bit late in replying the original post was in October 2011

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top