Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Re: Cyclists.

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Val darlin' - if cyclists ARE caught there is an On-the-spot fine of £60.00 but there are insufficient numbers of people to actually police it and the fines are derisory. They should increase the fines by a factor of 10 and employ and give authority to increased numbers of traffic wardens to stop and fine these idiots.
Yes I was about to say use the Traffice Wardens too...A smallish group of Cyclists from every Town/City give the rest of us a Bad Name and cause us all to be treated in the same Vein. Likewise a small Section of Motorists do the same thing and turn Cyclists againt all.........It's a Non Win however you look at it.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2012, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by White Raven ->
Yes I was about to say use the Traffice Wardens too...A smallish group of Cyclists from every Town/City give the rest of us a Bad Name and cause us all to be treated in the same Vein. Likewise a small Section of Motorists do the same thing and turn Cyclists againt all.........It's a Non Win however you look at it.
If you obey the Highway Code you have nothing to worry about. I am not against cyclists just those who think they are a law unto themselves.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2012, 07:57 PM

I have just bought a bike after 50 years of not using one.
It is because of car and lorry drivers that the cyclist has been made to take to the pavement, because believe it or not over one third of cyclists are knocked off their bikes every year, and it is as high as 42% in London, do you blame them for using the pavement?
Many pavements in our area have now been marked for cyclist to use, not like Wigan, but with just a sign painted on the road directing the cyclist to the footpath.
Years ago I cycled thousands of miles around the UK, and not once did I have to consider my safety, these days I have to wear an helmet, reflective clothes etc.
Many cyclists are at fault for not obeying the highway code, but I can assure you more motorists do the same, the difference is if a cyclists bumps into someone not often are the person or vehicle being hit suffer from extensive injuries that cyclist suffer if a car or lorry hit them.
The government are at present trying to get more motorists to take to bikes, London being a classic example.
The biggest problem is the width of the road, vehicles have been getting wider while the humble cycle is much the same as it as always been.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2012, 08:37 PM

When I lived at Home I biked every where, had too no buses in the villages and I was a bit of a dancer and went to all the village dances biked for miles, and it was safe as well.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2012, 10:30 AM

I always rode a bike, i surpose we have selective remembering but i dont remember it being as bad as it is now.
Bikes seem to come from everywhere, you can be sat at traffic lights, i check my mirrors before setting off and then all of a sudden there is a bike sat in front of the car, my first reaction is where the blazes did you come from.
and motorbikes scare the life out of me zooming in and out, why is is they go quick to get past you then slow down.???
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2012, 01:22 PM

I am always aprehensive when I see cyclists on the roads, whether I am driving or walking. Part of the problem, I think, is that cyclists seem to believe they can go anywhere they please, pavements, inside or outside lane. They are not content to wait in their turn and they can be very inconsiderate. If traffic is stationary they creep up inside you to get ahead and put themselves and drivers in danger. When there are two or three of them they seem to think it fine to ride abreast and because they are going so much slower than motorists it is very difficult to get past them. I had a couple of cyclists this morning going up a very steep hill two abreast. They were oblivious to anyone else and were going so slowly I had to get into first gear. Did they get into single file to give me a chance to go past them - the heck they did, they were far too busy talking to eash other and wobbling all over the road.

There are many tracks around us which are both pedestrian and cycle tracks combined. In my view pedestrians come first on these tracks, but cyclists zoom about on them with little regard for who else may be walking the paths. One time recently a bright spark hurtling up behind me even had the cheek to shout "make way cyclist coming through." He expected me and the dog to get off the track for him, even though in many places the signs clearly tell cylists to dismount - so, I imagine you can guess what I said to him.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2012, 02:19 PM

I get frustrated with cyclists who dodge in and out of traffic, creep up between cars at red lights, run red lights and stop signs and ride 2 or 3 abreast expecting cards to swerve around them.

Had to post this link though: 300 naked cyclists protest reckless driving in Peru.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2012, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
I get frustrated with cyclists who dodge in and out of traffic, creep up between cars at red lights, run red lights and stop signs and ride 2 or 3 abreast expecting cards to swerve around them.

Had to post this link though: 300 naked cyclists protest reckless driving in Peru.

As a cyclist I don't do any of the things you say cyclist do, I class myself as a good road user driving or cycling.

Rena you said that you can't see why cyclists can't wait in turn instead of going up front, well a cyclist is allowed to do this if their way is clear, dodging in and out between vehicles is not acceptable.
You also say that some cyclist ride two abreast, this is also not against the law if there is no cycle track, and I am sure a gentle toot on the horn would be enough for one to drop one behind the other.
There is impatience on both sides, but you will see everywhere and on TV motorists think bike, look twice before moving out or past them.
Now when I was driving I never overtook a horse or cyclists unless I could get over, because you might startle it/them, sometimes they might not hear you because engines are much quieter these days.
I think cyclist should carry a minimum of third party insurance.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2012, 07:03 PM

I agree Wrinkley, cyclists should take out third party insurance and also be better regulated on the roads, i.e. more formal testing before they take to the road.
It really rattles me when a cyclist squeezes up on my inside when in a stream of traffic. Drivers are not expecting a vehicle to come up on the inside when stationary or moving slowly and I think it is dangerous.
I very rarely toot my horn (I don't like to do it) but whenever I hear someone sounding their horn it always seems aggressive and makes me jump. I would use it if I really had to, but only to get someone's attention in a hurry or if there was some danger.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

13-03-2012, 07:11 PM

Rena it is compulsory for me to have a bell on my bike, and I must use it it, I can see no difference between a bell and a horn they are there to be used.
But one thing I can't quite get my head round, is why motorists suddenly have a down on cyclists, they didn't years ago when I was cycling all round the UK.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top