Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Tasha
UK
Tasha is female 

07-01-2020, 10:49 PM

Re: Mice in the Attic

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Its what they call the food chain Tasha l believe?
Donkeyman!
Indeed it is Donkeyman. I love spending an early summer evening watching barn owls hunt round here - they rarely go hungry.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have caught five little field mice so far.
They come in from the fields in the winter.
I hope I can get rid of them all .
I simply cannot kill them by poison is so cruel added to that I have a dog and although they are in the attic field mice do come out at night . A dead poisoned mouse in the garden would be a serious danger to a dog.

Yes,I agree,..I did put poison down last yr,but it was far under the decking...

I wouldn't do it again...I felt awful about it for ages....as you say...think very carefully before putting any poison down.
Next time,if I ever see a rat..I will put a cage out...and wear appropriate gloves etc....when transporting it..to somewhere rural...or get my son to do it.
Tasha
UK
Tasha is female 

07-01-2020, 10:56 PM

Do be careful if you do that with a rat, even if it's in a cage it can still bite you - a wooden box would be safer.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 10:57 PM

Poison not only kills the mice but anything that eats it be it wildlife or pets.
Rats are not something you want around though so the humane cage is arguably the best humane method.
In the past the rat catcher usually employed a Jack Russell terrier.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tasha ->
Indeed it is Donkeyman. I love spending an early summer evening watching barn owls hunt round here - they rarely go hungry.

I can't say,I would find any pleasure watching an owl kill a mouse...still...each to their own.
Tasha
UK
Tasha is female 

07-01-2020, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I can't say,I would find any pleasure watching an owl kill a mouse...still...each to their own.
Owls have to eat, and feed their young. As donkeyman said earlier, it's the food chain. Have you ever watched an owl hunting - swooping on silent wings, it's a thing of real beauty.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

07-01-2020, 11:04 PM

Do be careful if you do that with a rat, even if it's in a cage it can still bite you - a wooden box would be safer.

With the right gloves,they wouldn't be able to bite through...but one can never be too careful with a rat or any other rodent..getting bitten by one,does carry its own risks.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

07-01-2020, 11:06 PM

Owls have to eat, and feed their young. As donkeyman said earlier, it's the food chain. Have you ever watched an owl hunting - swooping on silent wings, it's a thing of real beauty.

I never said they don't need to eat.of course it's nature

I said.."I wouldn't find pleasure in watching an owl kill a mouse"!...not quite the same thing.
Tasha
UK
Tasha is female 

07-01-2020, 11:10 PM

I didn't say I watched owls killing mice though . . .

To be fair, even if you are owl watching you won't see a kill, it's unlikely you'd be close enough or that the bird would come close enough to you, however still you were. You will just see the owl swoop down to ground, and then fly away with something in its talons.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

07-01-2020, 11:14 PM

I didn't say I watched owls killing mice though . . .

To be fair, even if you are owl watching you won't see a kill, it's unlikely you'd be close enough or that the bird would come close enough to you, however still you were. You will just see the owl swoop down to ground, and then fly away with something in its talons.

If you enjoy watching that,good for you...

It wouldn't interest me.

I'd rather watch/play darts!....twit twoo.....night,night.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top