Join for free
Page 23 of 31 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 05:33 PM

Re: Statues

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Amazing. Truly amazing. Every reason 'except' the real reason.

By all means, stick your collective heads in the sand.
Refuse to see reality.
Learn no lessons.
Use brute force to drive the people from the streets.
The exact same thinking as cops who routinely brutalize people.
Worse still, the exact same thinking as Trump.

You appear to be confusing uk with usa bakerman? Maybe you got
your OFF posts mixed up with your home posts??

Donkeyman! 😇😇😇
Ian Haines
Merseyside, UK
Ian Haines is male  Ian Haines has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 06:34 PM

If a statue, anywhere in Britain, is there to mark the life of any person who was, in any way, involved in procurement of people for, or the profiting from, slavery, then that person's statue or plaque should be taken down.

I don't care how many libraries and parks that person gave to their locals - they are jointly responsible for barbaric slave exploitation and we should not be celebrating their existences, at all!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Haines ->
If a statue, anywhere in Britain, is there to mark the life of any person who was, in any way, involved in procurement of people for, or the profiting from, slavery, then that person's statue or plaque should be taken down.

I don't care how many libraries and parks that person gave to their locals - they are jointly responsible for barbaric slave exploitation and we should not be celebrating their existences, at all!
I totally disagree.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 06:57 PM

I think you'll find an inflexible inflammatory view like that will only provoke more anger.
In fact, for those who already have a chip on their shoulder, reading that is like a licence to go out and vandalise, rob and riot.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 07:46 PM

Only with the permission of the residents of that location after a poll.
We actually live in a democratic country, so I'm sorry Ian, that's just your opinion and you only get one vote....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 08:04 PM

Whose celebrating when did you last celebrate a statue ?
Anyway at leas it brought you out of the Woodwork Ian
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I think you'll find an inflexible inflammatory view like that will only provoke more anger.
In fact, for those who already have a chip on their shoulder, reading that is like a licence to go out and vandalise, rob and riot.
Just not on Ian ,sorry poor show to even say so .
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 10:42 PM

Spot on. Though some folks deny it, every statue or plaque is meant to honor someone.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2020, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Good point.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

At any time, or anywhere, if a statue or a plaque is placed in public, it is done so to honor the person so depicted.
I have not traveled in the UK but I'm willing to bet that there are numerous statues and plaques commemorating the life and works of William Shakespeare , and rightly so. Those statues and plaques are a celebration of him.

Must people dance around the statue, get down on bended knee, or sing songs in praise of him in order to honor him ? No, of course not. The simple fact that a statue exists, makes it an honor of the individual.

Does Edward Colston, the infamous slave trader, deserve to be honored ?

Page 23 of 31 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top