Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 12:30 PM

Re: Were you cold as a child ?

We had a stove in the kitchen which warmed that & gave us hot water & open fires in both living rooms, bath room & bedrooms were cold & I can remember ice patterns on the inside of windows & thinking how pretty they were. I had an electric fire in my bedroom which had to be switched off at bed time, but the dog slept on my bed & she was a super heat conductor.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 12:31 PM

I don't remember the cold very much. Scotland in the hills. Rarely wore a coat. A little tale...
We formed a line as we went into school. At first I thought one of my class mates had dandruff. It was ice on his wet hair.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
The winter of 1963 - the coldest for more than 200 years

It was fun at first, but then inadequate clothing never got dry, it took 2 hours to travel 8 miles to school (and back) and the coal supply ran short .....
That was a bad winter - we still had to go to school though trudging through deep snow that came up to my `nether regions`. All the teachers made it in too. The school heating was practically non-existent as it frequently broke down, so we had to keep our coats on.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
The winter of 1963 - the coldest for more than 200 years

It was fun at first, but then inadequate clothing never got dry, it took 2 hours to travel 8 miles to school (and back) and the coal supply ran short .....
I was working then, in 1962 & had my horse. She shared a field with another pony belonging to a friend. We got to the stables & saw the horses, their manes & tails were icicles & there was ice on their rugs. So we caught them thawed them out & put them both in the same stable, with dry rugs & food & water. It was the worst Winter I've even known.
Oopsadaisy1
New Member!
Oxford UK
Oopsadaisy1 is female 

05-02-2021, 01:36 PM

We could only afford to have the Rayburn on in the kitchen, cooking and hot water came from this. Bedrooms were often (poorly) heated with a paraffin heater on the landing, oh boy, the smell from this when it ran out of fuel in the middle of the night.
Apart from that, it was hot water bottles in the beds and loads of blankets, undies were warmed over the Rayburn oven door in the mornings. Chapped legs were par for the course and we didn’t wear trousers in those days , just long socks and skirts, my little brother wore shorts no long trousers then.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 01:46 PM

Yes, I was always cold and shivering going to bed at night.
We were lucky if there was an extra blanket to go on the bed but mostly it was piled high with coats.

Our house had just the one room heated with a coal fire, all the chairs were drawn forward around the fire trying to keep warm.... which resulted the red blotches on our legs. No radiators in those days. We had no hot water system, just a boiling kettle, we didn't even have a bathroom, our toilet was out in the garden, and baths were in a galvanised bath.

In winter time we used to sit round the fire, often with a coat on and take it in turns holding the toasting fork over the fire to keep warm. I remember my Dad always wearing a sports jacket in the house during winter.

No-one seemed to complain in those days, it was just something we put up with as there was no other option.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 01:57 PM

I have always wondered whether the the lack of luxuries made us stronger though!........
Or maybe the warm stews our mum's made helped us survive the cold.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
That was a bad winter - we still had to go to school though trudging through deep snow that came up to my `nether regions`. All the teachers made it in too. The school heating was practically non-existent as it frequently broke down, so we had to keep our coats on.
..... and the snow was really deep .....

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I was working then, in 1962 & had my horse. She shared a field with another pony belonging to a friend. We got to the stables & saw the horses, their manes & tails were icicles & there was ice on their rugs. So we caught them thawed them out & put them both in the same stable, with dry rugs & food & water. It was the worst Winter I've even known.
It was the longest I've ever known, too .....

Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 02:42 PM

Good old days eh??
Kids never got bored then !
People never moaned or blamed the government ?
Strangely although we were cold, l can't remember being cold ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top