Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 10:03 PM

Re: Disabilities as we get older

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
I am not very mobile at the moment. In mid-March 2020 I saw the Consultant and arrangements were made for me to have a hip replacement mid April however .....Covid came along.

I am really looking to having the op at some point in the future, especially when reading the success stories of members of this forum.
Hopefully you’ll be able to have your op as soon as this dreadful pandemic is under control.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 11:12 PM

Thank you, Minx - I sincerely hope so.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I was only 42 when I tore the cartridge in my knee trying to avoid one of the dogs, who was soaking wet and tearing full pelt up the slip way from the river. I whipped around to get out the way and felt my knee tear.
I had a keyhole operation but it wasn't enough and now I have had full replacements in both knees, my problem is balance, it's terrible and I worry all the time I'm going to fall. Only time I feel really safe when out is on horseback.
I sympathise with your knee trouble. I have had a problem with one of my knees since I was little but apart from one op, it hasn't bothered me too much in recent years.... until now. I think both knees are getting weaker and my other knee often cracks. I suspect that like both my parents, i will end up with Knee replacements in the future but I will hold out for as long as possible.
Jane10
United Kingdom
Jane10 is female 

08-02-2021, 11:21 PM

I was relatively young for knee replacements but the surgeon took a look at the Xrays and they were end stage osteoarthritis.
Now they're both fine. I refused post op opioides and managed with paracetamol and swearing. Sadly I think the years of 'walking funny' with my knees has affected my hip. I had quite an osteo flare up last month. It was pretty bad. Better now though phew.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jane10 ->
I was relatively young for knee replacements but the surgeon took a look at the Xrays and they were end stage osteoarthritis.
Now they're both fine. I refused post op opioides and managed with paracetamol and swearing. Sadly I think the years of 'walking funny' with my knees has affected my hip. I had quite an osteo flare up last month. It was pretty bad. Better now though phew.
Yes, I think that can happen. It can also affect your feet and your spine if it's all out of kilter. I remember seeing a physio about a frozen shoulder, she took one look at me and asked if I had a knee problem.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Some gentle stretching might help but don’t overdo it.
You're right Minx - I do have some physio exercise that I should do daily, but I'm not terribly good at keeping it up
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
You're right Minx - I do have some physio exercise that I should do daily, but I'm not terribly good at keeping it up
Hi Bathsheba I find if you have a routine and incorporate doing excercise with something else that helps.

Being unable to attend regular Yoga classes (because my health condition is unpredictable and I would have to miss some classes having paid for them) I watched some Yoga videos on YouTube , bought a mat and now do daily gentle stretching excercise.
I do the excercise at the same time each day while listening to the news on TV or the radio.

I also do some standing up exercises while waiting for the kettle to boil, or for something to cook, while cleaning my teeth or at any other odd spare moment .

When I take my dog out I do breathing excercise and use 'Scouts Pace' that I learnt in the Guides. So I walk a number of paces then jog the same number , I do 25 and find I can cope with this more easily than jogging, it excercise a good variety of muscles too and gets my heart rate up which is good thing.
Jane10
United Kingdom
Jane10 is female 

09-02-2021, 11:42 AM

My problem with yoga is getting down on to the mat then trying to get back up again! I'm sooooo stiff. Also I found after my knee replacements that I couldn't run any more. Just no 'bounce' in the metal /ceramic knees.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 11:45 AM

Me mum always told me that"you will pay for that when you
get older" !!
Boy, was she right!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jane10 ->
My problem with yoga is getting down on to the mat then trying to get back up again! I'm sooooo stiff. Also I found after my knee replacements that I couldn't run any more. Just no 'bounce' in the metal /ceramic knees.
Hi Jane I used to have trouble getting up off the floor because I was trying to pull myself up.
I now use my hands and arms to get up, putting my hands flat in front of me, then going from my knees to my feet and 'walking' myself upright.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top