Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 11:42 AM

Re: Rant alert - re Lockdown!

It’s when your friends don’t ring you that you should worry!
I feel ever so sorry for the woman with the cat. She sounds so lonely and all she has is her cat to talk to.
In a different time she might be quite interesting but at the moment, what else does she have to talk about if she never leaves the house?

Well said, Art!
Petra
Essex
Petra is female  Petra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 11:52 AM

Susan. That's classic. I'm often tempted to drop some earth shattering news as I've noticed ( well you would, wouldn't you) that if I say something important or interesting, no response, just " have you seen the price of fish" or, predictions from one of many of the clairvoyant sites that she's addicted to.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 04:20 PM

Luckily for me, friends and family are all 'WhatsApp'ers
Some are also in WhatsApp groups
We can pick conversations up and leave them at will
Nobody takes offence
Everybody joins in at their convenience

This is not as good as hearing someone else's voice if you're alone and lonely of course but it could maybe take the place of a phonecall now and again?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by rhian ->
luckily for me, friends and family are all 'whatsapp'ers
some are also in whatsapp groups
we can pick conversations up and leave them at will
nobody takes offence
everybody joins in at their convenience
:-d

this is not as good as hearing someone else's voice if you're alone and lonely of course but it could maybe take the place of a phonecall now and again?
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I still have a landline. These days I don't really know why I keep it. It's only used as an answering machine. It is NEVER turned on to ring. Avoids scammers and other nuisance calls.
Like you mine’s set not to ring , although I have to keep mine because it’s linked up to the Care Alarm ,
Very few people have my Mobile number .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 06:15 PM

Although it is nice to be thought of or checked on, I do think people also often pick up the phone simply because they are bored. Unfortunately it doesn't always mean the recipient is in the same boat though.

I am sure we've all had calls when we're in the middle of something and its not always possible to drop everything and have an hours conversation about nothing in particular. Its hard to get back to what you were doing again.

Its difficult, because the caller doesn't know we are trying to cook, or just stepped out the shower, or in the middle of paperwork or housework, or pefhaps having a snooze even.
Sometimes I have been trying to get my online banking done and I cannot just leave it, or the house phone rings when I am on a call on my mobile, or I am busy out in the shed doing something. Often it has happened when I am in the middle of bathing/clipping one of the dogs and so on.
There are many reasons why it is not always possible to stop and chat.

A quick 5 mins should be easy enough, but every single day for an hour at time, would drive me bonkers Tabs, I'd never get anything else done, and what on earth could there be to talk about when you've not long put the phone down from their previous call only a few hours before?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
It’s when your friends don’t ring you that you should worry!

I feel ever so sorry for the woman with the cat. She sounds so lonely and all she has is her cat to talk to.
In a different time she might be quite interesting but at the moment, what else does she have to talk about if she never leaves the house?

ST, give her my number and l will chat to her!

poor old thing
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 09:52 PM

I have both a landline and my cell phone. When home, I find it more comfortable to use the landline. Every few nights a friend or two will call to "touch base" and chat awhile. It breaks up the monotony for me in the evenings, and I welcome them thinking of me. We didn't used to do it, went to lunch or dinner a couple of times a week, but now...none of that.
It also makes me more appreciative of the friends I have, and I will stop whatever I'm doing in the house to talk awhile.
When things open up more, and it's safer, I'll gladly go back to seeing friends in "real time".
Did I mention I can call England and chat with a few friends there for under a dollar an hour? It makes a nice half hour call once a week seem a treat.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 10:54 PM

All our phone calls are on landline. My partner phones our daughter most days. I phone my sister every 1 or 2 weeks and that's about it. We have a mobile for emergencies when we are out if I remember to charge it up.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 12:38 AM

my nieces text me every day just to make sure everything's ok with us I like that as you can just stop texting when you want.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top