Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2012, 07:26 AM

Re: what have we learnt about life so far?

Hi Falconer, maybe the premise that our elders had some superior knowledge was just a fallacy.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

19-07-2012, 10:03 AM

As a child being brought up by a very phsyically and mentaly abusive Father I hated him with such a vehemence it used to frighten my Mother. She also suffered at his hand, so the act of seeking advice etc was, in our house, a no no from the start.

But what that did teach me from the start was that if you are mentally strong enough you can face life straight on, I supppose this is why I react in certain ways when I read posts I think could well be sorted out by the writer,instead of whinging on here, I am also accused of arrogance and ignorance simply because I have learnt in life if you have something to say, then say it, don't think about it, say it.

Now coming to my own children, ( two boys), yes they did come to me wanting advice, when I thought it childish advice they wanted I treated them like children, when it was, lets say serious advice, we would go for a walk, no matter what age they were, to be alone and talk all things through, so I don't really think I ever gave advice, more the fact I listened --- questioned --- and let them reach their own conclusions, that way they have never turned round and said I didn't know what I was taling about, or have them say, you never listen to me.

When the grandchildren came and visited us we would take them for walks and listen to their chatter, its amazing how much you can learn from a child just by listening.

If in town and we walked past a MacDonalds, they would try and throw a tantrum, ( at times) because Mummy and Daddy ALWAYS gave in to a bout of hystoryonics and in they would go. They knew, when they were in Grandads house that after a certain hour in the day children were seen but not heard, and they knew they had to bahave .

That said, we had tremendous amounts of fun and laughter, they love coming to visit us, and my youngest grandaughter said the last time we spoke---that she wanted to marry me coz she felt safe with me.

So I suppose, really the answer to your question is ----- no I don't advise, both my sons and I still go for walks and talk things through, the memories of my childhood still linger with me to this day I would never lay a hand on my wife, and she has ALWAYS been my equal, we have always tried to work together --- so really there's not a lot to learn from me.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

19-07-2012, 11:05 AM

I've always found that kids tend to take any advice parents give them and put it in the 'storage' file at the back of their mind. What you have to remember is Parents actually know nothing, they were never young, they never did anything daring, or stupid, or illegal or even anything fun............they never even had sex, for gawd sake.

Eventually, our kids will open the 'storage' file and it will all still be intact. But by that time they will be older and wiser and realise that some of the advice they were given was actually quite good.

I don't remember taking much of the advice my mother gave me when I was young.......................but as I got older and became a mother myself a lot of it came back back to me, which helped me to make the right decisions when bringing up my own family. So that, in my opinion, is how it will be with our offspring, and their offspring.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Falconer ->
WE who are now 'the older generation', to which our youngster's turn for that same help and advice...so my question is this!...

...have we gained enough from our then 'older generation' to pass on to our progeny?...and did we take 'on-board' enough wisdom to help steer them onto the right path's in life, as we were guided by our recent ancestry?.
I never knew my mother but found the guidance (rather than advice) given to me by my father has been invaluable and helped me to navigate my way through life .

I was widowed when my son was very young. We have always been friends as well as mother/son. Rather than my giving advice to him we have always talked things through looking at all the possibilities of a situation. That way my son has made his own decisions right or wrong.
Just a Lady
New Member!
England, UK
Just a Lady is female 

19-07-2012, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Julienne ->
There is another saying....."no good deed goes unpunished".....
I have never been able to figure the karma thing as good people, babies, children and animals suffer while people of evil intent and deed live well without punishment...
Karma is a belief system that explains what appears irrational in the present life---eg children being born diseased=Karma explains WHY in terms of past life actions that call for atonement. It rests on the theory of balance and nobody says it's necessarily a forgiving system! We do have free will after all, at least I believe we do, so we shape our own Karma.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

20-07-2012, 07:31 AM

Whatever floats your boat I suppose
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2012, 08:38 AM

I'm just learning that not everybody's outlook on life is/was the same as mine. I was brought up a child of the 60s and until recently thought I had a broad outlook on life, now I realise I actually led a very sheltered life. I don't pass judgement quickly (though I'm not sure I ever did) and I ask questions and I'm learning more now than I ever knew I needed/wanted to know. Am I happier, I don't know. My life is now so different from anything it used to be I can't judge. But one thing I do know is some people are a lot nicer than I first thought they were, simply because I listened properly to what they were saying.
I'm learning even with adults of the opposite sex there are different kinds of love but they mean just as much and I've learned my son accepts I will make my own decisions, though he does not agree he will not interfere. Most of all I'm learning I have some wonderful friends (some very old and some very new).
Have always said "The more I see of people the more I love my dog" My dog adores me, till someone more interesting comes along and he gets right up my nose, I got him 4 years ago from an animal sanctuary, is he grateful is he heck. Chewed seatbelts in car 2 wks ago and Sunday found he'd hid letter from DVLA under the bed and it's now out of date so will have to start again. Anyone want a 6 yr old Jack Russell free to good home/ bad home any home as long as it's not mine. Have got him on my knee showing him this, what's he doing ??
LAUGHING, he does that a lot. Will have my cup of coffee and take him for a walk while I explain we're having visitors next week and they're fetching cat and 2 kittens, I'll get even for the seat belts (£89).
Just a Lady
New Member!
England, UK
Just a Lady is female 

20-07-2012, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jonsey ->
To Just a lady,

Life in the 70s is fantastic, ( the age, not the era), its all in the mind. So many reach around seventy and they think basically their life is over, and that is a load of balderdash.

I "work" nearly as many hours now as I did when a youngster of fifty, a large garden --a large allotment , ---- I cycle a lot ---- belong to a few 'societies", the BIG difference being though, I can stop when I think ive done enough for the day,if I don't fancy doing it, i won't.

My brain, is still fairly sharp and my tolerance level is higher than it was when working, I weigh three pounds heavier than I did when joining the Air Force at eighteen, and I love life life, its gifts of beauty, its pleasures, although I am very opinionated --( NOOOOOOOOOOOO, really are you --- I hear you say, I seldom whinge and whine about things beyond my control, yep, lucky lady, life is great at this end of the spectrum.
Hi Jonsey,
You're absolutely right, we are blessed and I learn every single day that counting our blessings keeps us sane!
inthemoment777
United Kingdom
inthemoment777 is male  inthemoment777 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 01:08 AM

Yes we can go of either two ways swimming with the tide or against the tide.
We are evolving entity's but I think the trouble is, some people grow older and become too rigid and resistant to change. As evolving human beings we much embrace change and still have the ability to adapt. A positive mental attitude is the key I feel.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 01:30 AM

I've learnt in a few short months that I like some people for what they are, others I don't like at all.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top