Join for free
Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 06:36 PM

Re: Children Should Be Seen And Not Heard.... Shouldn’t They?

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Most people on here wouldn't last one minute growing up in a South Yorkshire Pit Village...
Boy that is one Australian Outback sized indictment of us OGF.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Why's that OGF?..Why South Yorkshire..specifically?..JUst curious. Do you mean it's a tough place to grow up?
Because it's where I grew up keezoy, and I can't speak for anywhere else. You either had to be a good fighter, or a good runner......I was the latter....
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Because it's where I grew up keezoy, and I can't speak for anywhere else.
Fair enough. This is an example of what's happened to me a few times lately. I changed that post but you got to it too quickly. But never mind. I guess what you're saying is that it's a tough place to grow up yeah?..I bet.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I hadn’t noticed these qualities particularly in any ex soldiers .
Some are so used to having their lives mapped out for them and being told what to do and when to do it they don’t know to act out of the umbrella of the army .
Nonsense Muddy, quite a few lads joined the army who I went to school with. They went in as snotty nose wimps who couldn't even tie their own shoe laces, and came out gentlemen with skills and confidence, and a healthy respect for authority.

Taking the softly softly psychological approach and trying to reason with them as adults isn't working is it.....
I've never seen so many young people disrespectful of all forms of authority as I see now. Hating the police, teachers, politicians and even arguing with referees. And in the past, I've seen decisions and rules by the supervisors questioned. People these days think it impinges their human rights and damages their pride to obey rules and take orders. Could this be because society has become soft and bolshi...Reap what you sow....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-03-2021, 07:06 PM

Sorry keezoy, we seem to be overlapping....
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sage ->
I'm so glad I didn't have any.
So am I. I know so many families whose grown up children are either spongers and bleeding their parents dry or else they only ever visit under duress, or they use their parents as unpaid baby sitters while they go out to work full time and don't have their lives disrupted by their own kids. And before you all tell me how wonderful your own children are, I am of course aware not ALL children are like this - but nearly all the parents my age who are friends seem "blessed" with selfish offspring.
Tubby
East Anglia
Tubby is male 

28-03-2021, 08:43 PM

There could be hope yet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56548931
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tubby ->
There could be hope yet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56548931
Yep. He was on ITV This Morning a couple of months ago.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Yep. He was on ITV This Morning a couple of months ago.
Make up your mind, Dex. was it this morning, or was it a couple of months ago.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 10:07 PM

Getting kids out in the world early, taking a minute to go over expectations before going into a public place, and swiftly removing them if they act up -with zero tolerance - inclines them to be well-behaved and to enjoy the privileges of going to public places at fairly young ages. You act up, you don't go out. Period.

Failing to prevent, intervene, or discipline just sets kids up to be disciplined by others, whose involvement you might not appreciate.

Now as for a good swat on the bottom, I am guilty as charged. The last time I spanked my son, he had run out in front of a car. I wanted his attention, surprise, and immediate change. A little heart-to-heart discussion wouldn't have internalized the lesson in the way that quick swat did. I didn't spank my children often, but when I did, I assure you that I would have been applauded for doing so by society at large - and in time, the child in question.

Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top