Join for free
Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 06:28 PM

Re: Putting something away ????

I'm with George on this one. Jonsey, I don't think anyone here has played a supercilious or patronising card.
I was going to join this debate too and has been said, many on here have been carers and know first hand what it is like. I was quite young and helped with my own grandmother who lived with us. It was expected of me and some of it not pleasant.
Having said that and re-reading your first post, I have every intention of leaving my children an inheritance.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

04-08-2012, 07:03 PM

Well kind sir I thank you, not only for the spelling lesson but also confirming to me --- a mere postee, that all are entitled ---- all can say --- all can post and realise that pomposity and crass stupidity are aimed at those who think they are being persescuted by posters who are just wishing to enter into a discussion.

One would think that one enjoys being patronising , that one enjoys belittling, whether via a genuine error of spelling or perhaps even a Typo error, but when someone is as pompous as to KNOW they are better - then one can only bow to the obvious supereiority of a --- prat ----
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 07:37 PM

Is this an adult forum? Seems like a lot of childish bickering
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

04-08-2012, 09:31 PM

I think its terribly sad that a couple of posts by one member has completely wrecked what was a very good and very interesting discussion. Everyone has an opinion, everyone has a personal experience and everyone is entitled to post in their own way and in their own words. In my humble opinion, Hammer was out of line stepping into the discussion to attack. If he wanted to join the discussion, fair enough but he evidently just came in for the purposes of criticising the way people put their point of view across and I don't see any place for that in a discussion. Clearly he didn't like the personal stories that were being told...............fair enough.........but go to another thread...........don't destroy the one you're not about to take part in. And correcting spelling mistakes and typing errors is one of my pet hates in forums. Its trivial and arrogant.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

04-08-2012, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by mazzie ->
I think its terribly sad that a couple of posts by one member has completely wrecked what was a very good and very interesting discussion. Everyone has an opinion, everyone has a personal experience and everyone is entitled to post in their own way and in their own words. In my humble opinion, Hammer was out of line stepping into the discussion to attack. If he wanted to join the discussion, fair enough but he evidently just came in for the purposes of criticising the way people put their point of view across and I don't see any place for that in a discussion. Clearly he didn't like the personal stories that were being told...............fair enough.........but go to another thread...........don't destroy the one you're not about to take part in. And correcting spelling mistakes and typing errors is one of my pet hates in forums. Its trivial and arrogant.
Perhaps you should read what I have actually written and judge it in its true context.

I put a point of view, mine and no one elses, if that offends you then I am sorry but do I not have the same rights to comment here as I see fit as you or anyone else?

Unlike others I tried very hard to stay within the forum rules in my postings, if I transgressed those guidelines it is up to admin to take action, not you.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 09:56 PM

It is a bit sad Mazzie, but I think you are blaming the wrong person. As other threads have been wrecked, this thread was well on the way to being wrecked before Hammer posted. If you want an example of a wrecker look a bit closer at the postings of someone else, not Hammer.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 09:56 PM

Aye well ... I think it might have been my post that rather killed it all dead in the water. I did go off at a tangent.

I know some places are quite strict about staying on-topic and I did veer off a bit though I genuinely thought it relevant to the discussion at the time.
Even so ... I too was a little surprised to see the spell checker coming out.

I'll shut up now .. because it's usually the case on all forums that 'least said, soonest mended', and I do think this is one of the best forums I've ever been on for allowing free speech (courtesy of Admin/Mods) ... and members who don't exploit that.
I like this place. The discussions are thought provoking and the varying opinions an insight into other people's points of view.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 10:07 PM

No, it's not your post I am thinking of Morticia and I also think it is a very good forum. Most people are courteous and play fair.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

04-08-2012, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
No, it's not your post I am thinking of Morticia and I also think it is a very good forum. Most people are courteous and play fair.
Rena, perhaps I was guilty of some sort of mild retaliation but I did not honestly think I was insulting a members persona.
However, It is rather nauseating to see everything here degenerating into so much rancour these days.

There used to be many great debates and dicussions without all these personal jibes.
That to me is the great sadness.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 10:34 PM

See aerolor this is what always mystifies me about forums.

There are some where, it has to be said, there are no personality clashes whatsoever. Peace reigns. But .. they can be as dull as ditch water when it comes to having any debates or discussions. But admittedly okay if all you want to chat about is the weather or play word games.

On the otherhand, discussions can be like dynamite.
I acknowledge that problems can arise when people who might feel strongly about a subject express their view ... and it differs with someone else who feels equally convinced their viewpoint is right.
To me .. that is healthy discussion.
I reckon leeway has to be allowed for differing styles of writing ... or the manner in which people come across. As long as no one is malicious or offensive or hurtful that is.
We're all different. With different backgrounds ... type of humour, different levels of eduation and life's experiences to draw upon.
That's what makes it fun ... or it should be.

I'm not over fond of people who just say ... I don't mean you, when we're all well aware who you do mean, as it just spreads more bad feeling.
Please don't take offence at me saying that ... but I had to say it.

Just seen Hammer's post before finishing this ...
I'm a shocking slow typist! ...
so I'll just finish by adding that newbies don't always fit in with the established status quo of a forum ... and I think maybe this place is not for me.
There does seem to be a lack of tolerance .... from both sides.

Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top