Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 08:10 PM

Re: Is It Just Me?

Originally Posted by Jonsey ->
Is one suggesting one isn't "grown up" or is one one "generalising", or is one suggesting it is ok to disagree providing they are not named -- either directly or indirectly ,, or indeed is one suggesting that when one has a principled ideal, and that ideal is affronted that one is not allowed to either to confont said blasphemer nor be allowed to reciprocate in a manner which one would think suitable to the transgressor????

One just wonders these things.
One can only wonder whether one has lost one's marbles...
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Or just inebriated on cheap French 'plonk'.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

06-08-2012, 08:25 PM

But one must wonder if one has lost ones marbles are the losing of ones marbles, classified by ones moderator as a punisable offence thus getting one yet another reprimand from ones room moderator, even though ones moderator is not in ones room that really one really shouldn't be in..
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Or just inebriated on cheap French 'plonk'.
And that
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

06-08-2012, 08:34 PM

I am many things --- but CHEAP ain't one of them
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

06-08-2012, 09:51 PM

With freedom of speech comes responsibility - hence we have rules so that people exercise that right in a civil, acceptable manner.

If not then we're more than happy to exercise our right to show them the door after all, it's a privilege to be a part of this site, not a right.

Seriously????? I can't quite believe you just said that Azz. You really think its a privilege to be a member of this site. If it wasn't for the rank and file members there wouldn't be a site and if every single one of us just bowed down to the strange style of moderating that goes on here, there wouldn't be much action on the site either.

What Jonsey said, is perfectly correct. I've been a member on here for two years and didn't visit very often for the simple reason that there wasn't much of interest to keep me here. When I came back recently, things seemed to have livened up a bit and it didn't take me long to realise that was because there were one or two people with a bit of spirit who were not afraid to speak their mind. That's a recipe for success in discussion forums anywhere else but here. Here, the mods try to beat them down and shut them up. Not the best way to keep the site interesting in my opinion. I've been a member on several different forums, some merely social and others which contain discussion and debate sections like this one and not a single one of them is moderated in this dictatorial style. But you clearly think that's the way to go...............so good luck with that.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

06-08-2012, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by mazzie ->
Seriously????? I can't quite believe you just said that Azz. You really think its a privilege to be a member of this site. If it wasn't for the rank and file members there wouldn't be a site and if every single one of us just bowed down to the strange style of moderating that goes on here, there wouldn't be much action on the site either.
Then you have to ask yourself why that hasn't happened.

Could it be because most people come here _because_ we have these rules and expectations around member conduct? I would assert yes, because it is something that we often get positive comments about
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 10:47 PM

In all fairness Azz we're all adults here and whilst we can see someone has to set the boundaries and look out for the stalker or the outright nutter who joins I don't think anyone here can be accused of that.

I can see a delicate balance is needed so some members don't feel intimidated or browbeaten by the livelier members but if we all tone down to the point of watching our P's and our Q's for fear of a reprimand or a ban we'll be reduced to discussing the weather.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

06-08-2012, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
In all fairness Azz we're all adults here and whilst we can see someone has to set the boundaries and look out for the stalker or the outright nutter who joins I don't think anyone here can be accused of that.

I can see a delicate balance is needed so some members don't feel intimidated or browbeaten by the livelier members but if we all tone down to the point of watching our P's and our Q's for fear of a reprimand or a ban we'll be reduced to discussing the weather.
I think we're quite reasonable to be honest - we just expect people to treat each other and/or the site with a little common decency.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

06-08-2012, 11:04 PM

I don't think any of us have crossed the line as far as common decency is concerned. As Morticia already said, we're all adults and we're not in the business of destroying sites............for myself personally, I would just like to be able to post stuff and not have it removed because one individual decides its not acceptable. I think that's pushing it a bit.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top