Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
beanybit
Birmingham
beanybit is female  beanybit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 11:41 AM

Re: Entertainer Max Bygraves Dies

I really loved Max. Fond memories when I was younger!
Cageybaby
London, uk
Cageybaby is female  Cageybaby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 10:17 PM

Meg, Erinaceous and LovelyMerrkat I'm in agreement with you!

I know Max Bygraves was much loved as an entertainer but he wasn't a nice man.
I know because my mum's family come from the same area in London as Max and none of the locals liked him.
He was a tightfisted snob who forgot where he came from and he even disowned children he fathered outside his marriage.
I know people might say it's jealousy because Max found fame and fortune but it isn't.
I met Max back in the 1980's. He wasn't a very nice man. He was standoffish and when I remarked that my grandmother knew him and his cousin when they were boys he looked uncomfortable and embarassed about being reminded of his roots.
Tommy Steele...another local boy made good...has never forgotten his roots and all the locals love him!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 10:41 PM

I liked Tommy Steele too, a bubbly happy personality. Didn't know Bygraves was tight fisted and stuck up, put a beggar on horseback...I suppose performers who forget their roots are inclined to lose the run of themselves.
Cageybaby
London, uk
Cageybaby is female  Cageybaby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
I liked Tommy Steele too, a bubbly happy personality. Didn't know Bygraves was tight fisted and stuck up, put a beggar on horseback...I suppose performers who forget their roots are inclined to lose the run of themselves.
Apparently he was like it BEFORE he got famous!

Yes Tommy Steele is totally different.
I've never met him but my dad has.
Tommy's a lovely guy and he still goes to Manze's pie n mash shop in Tower Bridge Road!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2012, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cageybaby ->
Apparently he was like it BEFORE he got famous!

Yes Tommy Steele is totally different.
I've never met him but my dad has.
Tommy's a lovely guy and he still goes to Manze's pie n mash shop in Tower Bridge Road!
Lesley darlin' seems you're from the same part of London as myself - East end (am a cockney!!!). As an infant, Sunday 'high tea' with whole family was Cockles, & whelks and beer (for the adults) and then the whole family decamped to the 'Prospect of Whitby on the Thames - know that pub???
Cageybaby
London, uk

31-10-2012, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Lesley darlin' seems you're from the same part of London as myself - East end (am a cockney!!!). As an infant, Sunday 'high tea' with whole family was Cockles, & whelks and beer (for the adults) and then the whole family decamped to the 'Prospect of Whitby on the Thames - know that pub???
I'm from South East London Uncle Joe but I do know the Prospect of Whitby pub!
You've bought back some memories there! I too remember Sunday tea...in the summer it was salad followed by shrimps, winkles, whelks, cockles and jellied eels and in the winter hot buttered crumpets followed by shrimps, winkles, whelks, cockles and jellied eels.
Friday's it was fish n chips, Saturday's pie n mash from Manzes and Sunday the seafood!

Happy days!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cageybaby ->
I'm from South East London Uncle Joe but I do know the Prospect of Whitby pub!
You've bought back some memories there! I too remember Sunday tea...in the summer it was salad followed by shrimps, winkles, whelks, cockles and jellied eels and in the winter hot buttered crumpets followed by shrimps, winkles, whelks, cockles and jellied eels.
Friday's it was fish n chips, Saturday's pie n mash from Manzes and Sunday the seafood!

Happy days!
Lesley darlin' in winter did you not have peas pudding & saveloys??? - remember them???
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2012, 10:33 AM

Always a pin in the end of your lapel for your winkles.
I remember this little rhyme since a kid.

I can't get my winkle out,
isn't it a sin?
the more I try to get it out,
the further it goes in.

I searched and found this,
http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=100125
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

01-11-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Always a pin in the end of your lapel for your winkles.
I remember this little rhyme since a kid.

I can't get my winkle out,
isn't it a sin?
the more I try to get it out,
the further it goes in.

I searched and found this,
http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=100125

Cageybaby
London, uk

01-11-2012, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Lesley darlin' in winter did you not have peas pudding & saveloys??? - remember them???
I remember pease pudding and saveloys but we never had them together.
We had pease pudding with boiled bacon and we had sav n chips from the local chippy!

Hi Wrinkly!

I remember that winkle rhyme!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top