Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2012, 07:56 AM

Re: Halloween yes or no

Definitely not for me.

I don't mind the dressing up and frivolities but ' Trick or Treat' is an Americanism I do not want.

We watched some kids tonight on our walk, 5 to 8 years old going around 'Trick or Treating ' in the dark with no supervision, anything could have happened to those kids and their parents would probably not accept the responsibility, they would most likely say it was not their fault, in fact one kid ran into a lamp post which could have been nasty.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2012, 10:50 AM

I'm isolated enough now that thankfully I don't get trick or treaters, but I've always been against it. A couple of years ago I had two lads demanding money as treats. They got fruit. And two minutes later the fruit was thrown at my window...
When we were little and lived in the US our parents had what I think was a good compromise. They knew we liked dressing up on the night but didn't approve of trick or treating, so each year we got an official UNICEF collection box and went round collecting on Halloween, dressed up in our Halloween costumes. We got the best of both worlds, as we were often given sweets as well.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2012, 02:28 PM

Everything went off peaceful last night, no trouble whatsoever, all the kids were tucked up by 11pm. I wish I could say the same for the old folks, this was the scene on the road this morning outside the pub after the old folks halloween party.
janet gracey
london
janet gracey is female  janet gracey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2012, 06:23 PM

Hope the street's cleared up now Jemflux.

My little road only has six flats in it so we don't get many people here. It was very quiet, Coming home I did see parents out with young children. Think the older ones just expect money now.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2012, 06:33 PM

My Jimmy, but there are some old incorrigible rogues in your local I'd have got them to clear it up themselves!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2012, 02:16 AM

I don't have a problem with Hallowe'en, but I do object to it having become trick or treat.

I live alone and hardly ever open my door after dark but, as it was Hallowe'en last night, I expected it.

I keep an old-fashioned sweetie jar filled with 2p and 1p pieces and, to be honest, I was just a little bit fed up last night. I'd no sooner got home from work at 4.50 and taken my jacket off when they started. I was famished and couldn't get to cooking to feed myself.

Anyway, I did pour some of the coin jar into their little bags - but ONLY if they were supervised by an adult. Those that didn't I closed the door on them. I just can not believe that parents would send their kids out to knock on the doors of strangers when so many kids go missing and murdered. Those parents and kids don't know me, and I could be anybody.

On the flip side of the coin, I could be opening the door to anybody. It all quietened down at around 6.30, which fair enough but, at around 7.45 I spotted some older looking kids - maybe even teenagers - wearings masks, and my door was heavily knocked on. I knew this wasn't little ones, so I didn't answer.

As a child, Hallowe'en for me was going to grandma's house bobbing for apples, and other games, but now it's all about begging!
jennym
bracknell, United Kingdom
jennym is female  jennym has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2012, 08:39 PM

I love it when the little ones come round & they put so much effort into their costumes & round here they all come with their parents & are so polite. Only once did I have some 'big kids' come round but they only got sweets & seemed very nice. This year I had a surprise visit from my Grandson or should I say 'Count Dracula' he's only 4 & he looked wonderful.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top