Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tammy
New Member!
York
Tammy is female 

04-03-2013, 09:47 PM

Horses anyone?

Most of you seem to have dogs for pets, as I do as well, but are there any horse/pony/donkey owners out there?

We have a 23 y.o. retired pony who used to belong to my son and then ridden by me. We've had her 21 years and she is just as much a pet and cheeky character as any dog! I also have a rescue horse from the Blue Cross who has turned into the most gentle and loving mare you could want.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2013, 10:30 PM

Re: Horses anyone?

No but I would love one ...... only time and money standing in my way
Im umming and arhing over getting a goat at the moment as I like them and have a field that needs keeping down.... grows at a rate of knots
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2013, 12:02 AM

My mothers sister had a riding stables (now owned by my cousin ) but I have never got on very well with horses .
They seem to want to bite me at every opportunity..
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2013, 04:48 PM

We have two Clydesdales that my OH rescued. Bonnie and Clyde.
Feegonagle
New Member!
West Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Feegonagle is male 

12-11-2015, 12:44 AM

Not yet but only a matter of time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
We have two Clydesdales that my OH rescued. Bonnie and Clyde.

I'm in awe Roxy, they are beautiful.

I rode for years when I was young, and back in the late 60's and 70's, I had my own horse. I had to have him put down when he was in his mid 20's with severe laminitis and other probs, and it broke my heart. I've never rode since.
I still have his brushes to this day.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 07:12 AM

Dont get me started..I dont have any larger animals but only because I dont have the room..
For me a lottery win wouldnt mean luxury clothes or cars it would mean a farm with donkeys and goats and chickens.. For me being among those animals would be a luxury worth having.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 10:13 AM

We have a horse rescue centre not far from us, they do so much for abused horses, donkeys, etc.

http://easyhorsecare.net/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 10:19 AM

I've adored donkeys since I was a kid. I'd have one tomorrow if I could.
TWHRider
South Eastern U.S.
TWHRider is female  TWHRider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2015, 11:13 PM

Hello Tammy.

I am late to the party but it took me three days to find my password for this forum

I laid my two geriatrics to rest this past year.

I still have two Tennessee Walkers, 20 and 21 years old.

I have owned horses, non-stop, for 56 years. When I lay these two next to their buds, I will be closing the book on a lifelong exhilarating horse journey.

They both have health issues, the 20 year old pretty serious. They will tell me when they can't do this anymore and I will send them on, with dignity.

I have also spent a lifetime rescuing dogs and cats so my Pet Sematary is full.

I still have three dogs, three barn cats and two house cats. I have two Catahoulas that I rescued and I have inherited the neighbor's 12 yr old Lab, as they moved to town and couldn't take her.

It was never a question of the Lab living here permanently as we have always been her second home anyway. She is an outside gal so is the proud new owner of an Igloo dog house that stays inside the garage. I have also started her on arthritis meds, which seem to be doing a good job in increasing her mobility.

Due to my own health issues, I stopped riding in 2007 but everyone keeps me busy and in fairly decent condition. I am still able to muck stalls and get the horses cared for.

I am hoping for at least another five years for all of us but DH knows to PTS my horses if something happens to me. They are no longer rideable and nobody but me would want their big vet bills.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top